Skip to main content

VA-owned Foreclosure - How to establish offer?

Looking at a farmhouse on 8 acres that would be a second home for ~7 years and then a forever home once kids graduate. I have rehabbed every home I ever purchased, so the work isn't the issue. It is also is the area where we want to be long-term and would run about $400k if properly fixed up.

House has city water/sewer, new roof. Was purchased in 2019, guy died in 2025, estate defaulted on the mortgage. It was clear the guy was trying to fix the house up and it is left in mid-reno condition. VA listing agent is notorious. She has never been to the property and says no utilities will be turned on. Poor communicator who just wants a buyer/buyer agent to submit an offer through VRM and call it good. There will also be no inspections. House is ugly but livable.

I can go through the house myself and glean information with my agent. Between my construction experience and his real estate experience, we can scope out a lot. I have never had a foreclosure situation where the listing agent was so checked out.

Current list price is $175k, it sold for $213k in 2019 before the foreclosure. Under the circumstance of zero info from listing agent, no ability to inspect or test systems, and basically a surface-level walk through, where do I start on price? For comparison, a similar derelict property on 46 acres in the same community sat on the market for 325 days, dropped from $350k to selling at $135k and that was through a regular sale. However, that comp allowed inspections and had a responsive listing agent with tons of info and inspections.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

submitted by /u/River-Chalice-23
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1wu8i0q/vaowned_foreclosure_how_to_establish_offer/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

Making offers on houses not listed for sale.

I want to buy a home for retirement. I am looking at lots of options, mostly focusing on the locations that appeal to me. I see lots of Zillow estimates of homes that look like great deals to me. Are these estimates accurate, even though similar houses in the same area that are for sale are usually priced much higher? If so, is it realistic for me to try to make offers to owners that do not have their homes listed? Would a realtor even consider helping me do this? Or, do these values indicate that the houses listed for sale are overpriced, and I should just lowball until someone accepts? Are houses today tending to sell far below list prices, or ??? submitted by /u/chewybrian [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1o4mcon/making_offers_on_houses_not_listed_for_sale/