Not sure what to do here. Sold a house and closed the end of Q2. Very easy transaction, nothing out of the ordinary.
On the closing sheet we had a refund of about $400 for pre-paid real estate taxes to the town for the current quarter (Q2). All other taxes were paid and up to date. At closing, the buyers pre-paid about $2501.23 in property taxes for Q3, although the actual taxes owed for Q3 is $2,581.19. (numbers have been changed)
About 3 months after closing, we get a check from the title company for $2,581.19. The exact amount of the taxes for the quarter we did not own the house (Q3).
I can assume they meant to send the pre-paid taxes to the township and not the seller? But that's a pretty big error to make. The check even says "Q3 propery tax refund". We didn't own the house in Q3. And when I go to the township tax assessor site, it shows Q3 taxes as paid ($2,581.19).
I got the check a few weeks ago waiting for them to realize their error and ask for the check back, but I haven't heard from them yet. I have not deposited it yet.
Would you:
Deposit it and not look back ("Bank error in your favor")
Inform them of their error
Keep waiting
[link] [comments]
source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1woe6dp/title_company_refunded_re_tax_months_after_closing/
Comments
Post a Comment