Skip to main content

New construction vs. resale

House-poor single parent looking to downsize to townhome. Have been searching for 7 months and ready to be done. Which would you choose? (Payments are with 20% down.)

New construction:
Purchase price: $335K (with fridge and washer/dryer)
Rate: 5.5% fixed OR 4.25% ARM
Monthly payment: $2211 fixed (PITI + HOA) or $2007 ARM (PITI+ HOA)
Pros: walking distance to children's current school, in current neighborhood, beautiful view, backyard, low-traffic street, minimal disruption for kids
Cons: interior unit, close-ish to train line (but cannot hear train with windows closed), would have to purchase water softener and filtration system, blinds, and gutters.

Resale:
Purchase price: $275K
Rate: 6.5% fixed (and that's with some points)
Monthly payment: $2027 (PITI + HOA)
Pros: end unit, yard, good assigned school (same district as new construction, but not children's current school), current owner has made some updates (roof, AC, water heater, appliances)
Cons: built 2004, only one full bathroom, North-facing, farther out from many of the places we frequent, would require school change (kind of a pain with IEPs), interest rate

Income: $5K take-home monthly from full-time job. Variable additional income of $1-6K, which is what's making me nervous about staying in current home ($2650 monthly, PITI + HOA). Without the variable income, I would be living paycheck to paycheck in the current home. I have 1 year's emergency savings plus down payment for either home and no debt other than the current mortgage.

I am not interested in a roommate and cannot leave my current job because I need the health care benefits and pension. I have no option/interest/time in changing/adding jobs to increase income at this time.

submitted by /u/misfitmpls
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1v74fv4/new_construction_vs_resale/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

How to get started?

Hi! I’m 23F and I just graduated college with an english degree (😅) but i’ve been working in nonprofits since I was 16 and lucked into an amazing first job with an one of the biggest and best real estate non-profits! I love my job so far, but it’s my first time being surrounded by such wealth (and very hard working, deserving individuals.) To be quite honest, I‘ve had a rough few years juggling multiple jobs to finish school, and the idea of myself not living paycheck to paycheck seems light years away. This is all being said, I guess I’m posing the question towards the group of what I can do now to start building that kind of future for myself. I find real estate very interesting, and i’ve loved learning about all the machinations behind development- I’m just not sure where to begin within the industry (investment/rentals are definitely not an option for me yet). I’m also looking to go back to school, but being that I don’t know where to start, I wouldn’t like to begin classes aga...