Skip to main content

First time home buyers under contract, inspection revealed a lot of flaws

We recently went under contract for a house after a lengthy negotiation. The house has been sitting on the market for 35 days before we offered it. We had the inspection this past week, the inspector found quite a few issues. The biggest being standing water in the crawlspace, which was not easy to see the reason for.
The home was listed as a modular home, but the inspector and our agent have both seen signs that may be a manufactured house, even though it has the serial number for a modular house.
The trusses in the attic seem to be cut into four pieces, but unsure if that is normal for this modular home or another reason.
There are several damaged shingles or shingles with holes in them.
There is siding damage.
The back porch was not installed correctly and is missing joist hangers.
The front porch beams need to be reset as they have moved since installation.
Several windows need to be replaced due to broken seals.
There was also was issues with a lot of electrical wires with junction boxes in the attic being exposed and wires being damaged.
We’re kind of at a loss as to what to do because it seems like a lot of these issues will be money pits to fix and we’re already over what we probably should’ve reasonably went under contract for the house.
Our agent has already advised us but this all does seem worrying, just looking for some advice on if this is all normal because we don’t really wanna throw 15k into the house as soon as we move in. We’re going to ask the sellers to fix the majority of the problems or walk.

submitted by /u/I_feel-nothing
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1v68hg7/first_time_home_buyers_under_contract_inspection/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

How to get started?

Hi! I’m 23F and I just graduated college with an english degree (😅) but i’ve been working in nonprofits since I was 16 and lucked into an amazing first job with an one of the biggest and best real estate non-profits! I love my job so far, but it’s my first time being surrounded by such wealth (and very hard working, deserving individuals.) To be quite honest, I‘ve had a rough few years juggling multiple jobs to finish school, and the idea of myself not living paycheck to paycheck seems light years away. This is all being said, I guess I’m posing the question towards the group of what I can do now to start building that kind of future for myself. I find real estate very interesting, and i’ve loved learning about all the machinations behind development- I’m just not sure where to begin within the industry (investment/rentals are definitely not an option for me yet). I’m also looking to go back to school, but being that I don’t know where to start, I wouldn’t like to begin classes aga...