Skip to main content

Anyone build a modern home recently? Looking for advice on modular vs panelized vs site-built

I’m starting to think building may make more sense than waiting for the perfect house to come on the market. Inventory is really limited where I’m looking (Western MA), and I’m finding that I’m extremely picky.

The house I’d like to build is:
Modern/contemporary style (not farmhouse)
About 2,300 sq. ft.
Two stories
3 bedrooms
Attached 2-car garage
Full basement
Wraparound porch
On a wooded lot (I have found land I might be interested in)

I’m trying to decide between a traditional site-built home, a modular home, or a panelized home. I’ve read that panelized and modular homes can sometimes be built faster than a traditional home, but I’m not sure how they compare in terms of quality, customization, or overall cost.
My biggest concerns are time and cost. I really don’t want to spend two years waiting to move into a house, but I also don’t want to spend close to $1 million building one if I can avoid it. My limit is about $800K (preferably $650 to $700K). I’ve heard building is a major headache and I really want to avoid that lol.

For those of you who’ve built recently:
Which type of construction did you choose and why?
How long did the entire process take from buying the land to moving in?
If you built again, would you choose the same method?
Were there any unexpected costs that surprised you?
Roughly what did it cost to build (excluding or including land, if you’re comfortable sharing)?
If your goal was a modern/contemporary home, would you recommend site-built, modular, or panelized?

I’m also curious whether building was actually worth it in the end, or if you wish you had just bought an existing house instead.

I’d really appreciate hearing real experiences, especially from anyone who built in New England or another rural area. Thanks!

submitted by /u/techgirl8
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1v86ui1/anyone_build_a_modern_home_recently_looking_for/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

How to get started?

Hi! I’m 23F and I just graduated college with an english degree (😅) but i’ve been working in nonprofits since I was 16 and lucked into an amazing first job with an one of the biggest and best real estate non-profits! I love my job so far, but it’s my first time being surrounded by such wealth (and very hard working, deserving individuals.) To be quite honest, I‘ve had a rough few years juggling multiple jobs to finish school, and the idea of myself not living paycheck to paycheck seems light years away. This is all being said, I guess I’m posing the question towards the group of what I can do now to start building that kind of future for myself. I find real estate very interesting, and i’ve loved learning about all the machinations behind development- I’m just not sure where to begin within the industry (investment/rentals are definitely not an option for me yet). I’m also looking to go back to school, but being that I don’t know where to start, I wouldn’t like to begin classes aga...