Skip to main content

Seller’s agent repeatedly crossed boundaries and then questioned my mental state??? Would you escalate or let it go?

TL;DR: The seller’s agent repeatedly bypassed our agent and behaved unprofessionally throughout the transaction. After closing, I sent a calm email asking that the sign be removed and future communication go through our agent; she responded by calling me angry and hostile and questioning my mental state. We were prompt, cooperative, and polite throughout. Would you escalate the thread to her supervising broker and leave a factual review, or document it and move on unless she contacts us again?

We recently closed on a home after a difficult and unusually contentious transaction. We had our own buyer’s agent, and the agent involved here represented the sellers, not us. The seller’s agent was also a personal friend of the sellers, which may be relevant context given how informal and personal some of the interactions became.

Throughout the process, the seller’s agent repeatedly contacted me directly instead of communicating through our agent, even though our agent was readily available. She would then tell our agent afterward that she had contacted me.

She was also repeatedly rude and dismissive toward our agent. According to our agent, she told her to “leave her alone” during the transaction. The whole dynamic was strange and unlike anything I expected from professionals handling a home sale.

Her statements to us were also confusing. At one point, despite representing the sellers, she told us that she was “working for us” and wanted us to get the house. She also claimed that she had withheld another offer from her own clients. I have absolutely no way to verify whether she actually did that. If true, it seems concerning; if untrue, it was still a bizarre thing to tell the buyers. Her position seemed to change depending on whom she was speaking with, and it became difficult to know what to believe.

For additional context, we responded promptly to every request, provided everything asked of us, and remained polite throughout the transaction. I understand that readers only have my version of events, but I’m not leaving out some major argument or personal attack from our side that would explain the response described below. We were focused on completing the purchase and intentionally avoided escalating the seller’s agent’s behavior while the transaction was pending.

After closing, the listing sign remained on the property. The seller’s agent called me directly again to discuss adding a “sold” sign and sending postcards advertising the sale. I told her multiple times that we wanted the sign removed because it interferes with the sightline when exiting the driveway.

Because the telephone conversation was awkward, I followed up with a factual email confirming that:

  • We wanted the sign removed as soon as possible.
  • Any marketing should not include our names, photographs, contact information, or other personal details.
  • We would return the lockbox through our own agent.
  • All future communication should go through our agent.
  • The sign company could access the sign to remove it, but the seller’s agent should not otherwise enter the property.

The email contained no insults, threats, or personal comments.

Her response began, “Lighten up, guy. Life is good.” She said my “lengthy emails” had done nothing for me, characterized me as angry and hostile, and told me to reread my own email. She finished by saying she feared for my mental state when I face a more pressing issue in life than a sign.

To be fair, she also confirmed that she would submit the sign-removal request and said the company might take another day or two.

I’m not planning to respond. I forwarded the exchange to our agent and asked her to handle the remaining sign and lockbox arrangements. I’m now considering forwarding the complete thread to the seller’s agent’s supervising broker after everything is resolved and possibly leaving a factual review.

For buyers or agents who have dealt with something similar:

  • Is this something you would bring to the supervising broker?
  • Does the broader pattern make the final email more concerning, or should I treat it as a rude message and move on?
  • Would you leave a factual review once the remaining loose ends are resolved?
  • Or would you simply document everything and take no further action unless she contacts us again?

I’m not seeking legal advice. I’m mainly looking for perspective on whether this crosses a professional line and how others would handle it.

submitted by /u/distractedbyshinyobj
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1wwt8dd/sellers_agent_repeatedly_crossed_boundaries_and/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

How to get started?

Hi! I’m 23F and I just graduated college with an english degree (😅) but i’ve been working in nonprofits since I was 16 and lucked into an amazing first job with an one of the biggest and best real estate non-profits! I love my job so far, but it’s my first time being surrounded by such wealth (and very hard working, deserving individuals.) To be quite honest, I‘ve had a rough few years juggling multiple jobs to finish school, and the idea of myself not living paycheck to paycheck seems light years away. This is all being said, I guess I’m posing the question towards the group of what I can do now to start building that kind of future for myself. I find real estate very interesting, and i’ve loved learning about all the machinations behind development- I’m just not sure where to begin within the industry (investment/rentals are definitely not an option for me yet). I’m also looking to go back to school, but being that I don’t know where to start, I wouldn’t like to begin classes aga...