Skip to main content

Potential dream home, but not in a "dream" area

My wife and I have been casually looking to upgrade from our starter home which we've lived in for almost 10 years. We've had a lot of difficulties finding the perfect house for us in our area. The home prices here are getting expensive, and every home we look at is going to be a marginal upgrade which triples our mortgage. We are having a hard time sacrificing some of the conveniences to living in our current home. Just to name a few:

  • Close proximity to stores and restaurants
  • Parks within walking distance
  • Cheap mortgage (under $1k per month), 4% rate
  • Inexpensive utilities and low property taxes (since we bought in 2016)
  • House needs no updates

Living in our current home also has its downsides:

  • Neighborhood is right off a highway (constant noise)
  • Lower income families and no HOA, some houses look vacant
  • Data Center is planned to be built less than a mile away (in a year or so)
  • Major lack of storage, feels cramped

A house came up outside of my hometown in a small rural town of about 6k people (20-minute drive to the nearest stores/restaurants). We never considered moving out that way, but it's in a nice neighborhood with a relaxed HOA. The house has a ton of potential and could be turned into our dream home with the right updates, but it lacks all of the convivences we have here. We feel the need to move on before the data center is built, but we aren't sure if living in a more rural area is for us. We are in our mid-thirties with no kids and work remotely, so nothing is holding us here. I keep saying we could always move back if we don't like it, but who knows how the market will look (we are already getting priced out). A home of this size in our current area would go for $200k more easily, which is why this home is tempting.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts or what you might do. I can provide more info if need be.

submitted by /u/despisedicon689
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1wvwwtz/potential_dream_home_but_not_in_a_dream_area/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

How to get started?

Hi! I’m 23F and I just graduated college with an english degree (😅) but i’ve been working in nonprofits since I was 16 and lucked into an amazing first job with an one of the biggest and best real estate non-profits! I love my job so far, but it’s my first time being surrounded by such wealth (and very hard working, deserving individuals.) To be quite honest, I‘ve had a rough few years juggling multiple jobs to finish school, and the idea of myself not living paycheck to paycheck seems light years away. This is all being said, I guess I’m posing the question towards the group of what I can do now to start building that kind of future for myself. I find real estate very interesting, and i’ve loved learning about all the machinations behind development- I’m just not sure where to begin within the industry (investment/rentals are definitely not an option for me yet). I’m also looking to go back to school, but being that I don’t know where to start, I wouldn’t like to begin classes aga...