Skip to main content

Older house (1945) in Florida with older wiring, can't insure. Should I have the house re-wired?

We live in an older house, when we bought 15 years ago when having some work done, I noticed some older wiring. I asked the electrician about it, he said it was perfectly safe. Fast forward a few years, and our insurance company re-inspected and said we need to replace the old wiring or they will cancel our policy. I spoke to a number of electricians, all said the older wiring is perfectly safe, it is polyester covered, not the cotton covered that is dangerous. One said it is safer than what he would replace it with. He also said he'd have to practically destroy the house to re-wire, opening walls, ceilings etc, or run surface, which would be really ugly. Our mortgage is paid off, so we just haven't bothered insuring it for a number of years ($7,000 annually).

My concern is, we're both nearing retirement age, and at some point in the future may want to downsize, and to try to sell the house in this condition would limit it to a cash sale, which really narrows the buyer base. I don't want to live through the mess re-wiring would make, but also don't want to deal with some nightmare situation when we're older and need to sell.

One day I'm tempted to just do it and get it over with, the next day I think just to let the next owner deal with it. We're in a historical district in a small Florida town, and the house has some architectural and historical importance.

submitted by /u/YippieYiYi
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1wvtvb8/older_house_1945_in_florida_with_older_wiring/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

How to get started?

Hi! I’m 23F and I just graduated college with an english degree (😅) but i’ve been working in nonprofits since I was 16 and lucked into an amazing first job with an one of the biggest and best real estate non-profits! I love my job so far, but it’s my first time being surrounded by such wealth (and very hard working, deserving individuals.) To be quite honest, I‘ve had a rough few years juggling multiple jobs to finish school, and the idea of myself not living paycheck to paycheck seems light years away. This is all being said, I guess I’m posing the question towards the group of what I can do now to start building that kind of future for myself. I find real estate very interesting, and i’ve loved learning about all the machinations behind development- I’m just not sure where to begin within the industry (investment/rentals are definitely not an option for me yet). I’m also looking to go back to school, but being that I don’t know where to start, I wouldn’t like to begin classes aga...