Skip to main content

Kitchen renovation or no? Thinking of selling in near term.

We live in an older, 1970s raised ranch. The house is in great shape but needs some updating. We have had it in our mind to have the kitchen remodeled (full gut, new floors, new appliances, taking down a wall to open it up, new countertops, etc). We've gotten quotes and this will land us around $80-100k.

While we were waiting on our contractor to start (he's scheduled to start late November) a house came on the market in town that we had a keen interest in and we put in an offer. Our offer was declined so we're back to the kitchen reno, but now we're nervous because we've realized that we actually do have a desire to potentially get into a larger house (we have a growing family).

So, now we're kind of torn. We're weighing the pros and cons of having a very affordable mortgage (3.5% rate) in an OK-ish home vs trying to sell/buy in this current housing market vs continuing with the kitchen reno.

Personally, (i.e. not necessarily my spouse's opinion), I think the kitchen reno should continue, we live in the house for another 3-5 years and then cross fingers the market gets a little better before trading in for a larger house. My spouse is leaning more towards the new house option.

I was hoping for some opinions and/or dialogue , has anyone been in a similar situation? How did you think about it? What did you do?

submitted by /u/chop924
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1wvqe2a/kitchen_renovation_or_no_thinking_of_selling_in/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

How to get started?

Hi! I’m 23F and I just graduated college with an english degree (😅) but i’ve been working in nonprofits since I was 16 and lucked into an amazing first job with an one of the biggest and best real estate non-profits! I love my job so far, but it’s my first time being surrounded by such wealth (and very hard working, deserving individuals.) To be quite honest, I‘ve had a rough few years juggling multiple jobs to finish school, and the idea of myself not living paycheck to paycheck seems light years away. This is all being said, I guess I’m posing the question towards the group of what I can do now to start building that kind of future for myself. I find real estate very interesting, and i’ve loved learning about all the machinations behind development- I’m just not sure where to begin within the industry (investment/rentals are definitely not an option for me yet). I’m also looking to go back to school, but being that I don’t know where to start, I wouldn’t like to begin classes aga...