Skip to main content

(US) Opinion on proposed easement from neighbor

I have a 15ft wide driveway in a city and there are some aggressive highrise apartment development happening in my area which is going to put a massive strain on street parking. My next door neighbor with whom I have a decent relationship with asked if I would entertain the idea of demolishing my wall/fence between my driveway and his 3ft trash alley to make a 18 ft - 2 car driveway with an easement for him to use the one side by his house.

The proposal seems decently fair but I haven't had an attorney look at it yet. To my understanding the basics are:

  • He pays for all permits, legal costs, and dividing wall demo + regrading, and construction + materials to match my driveway to my liking.

  • I have a 30 day out for any reason. During which he has to pay to restore the property divider up to a reasonable limit.

  • I have a 12 month out, but I have to pay an increasing some of the costs to replace my wall/fence (next point)

  • He pays me a fee of ~$8k over 12 months for the inconvenience with some stipulations that I pay him back for a predetermined % of diving wall replacement if I back out between months 1-12. Then another fee of $20k after 12 months if I don't back out.

  • It's a personal easement that cancels when he moves.

The way I work it out is that it won't really cost me anything to try out aside from fees to have my attorney look over it. I know there's a risk that the relationship turns sour if I back out but this guy is pretty social and well liked on the block, I have a feeling that he's going to be disappointed but will respect me and accept it if I need to back out. He's generally very considerate about noise and cleanliness so I trust he won't park like an asshole. If anything I'd probably push for a cancellation clause that terminates it if I move out.

submitted by /u/benignpolyp
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1vz3n8u/us_opinion_on_proposed_easement_from_neighbor/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

How to get started?

Hi! I’m 23F and I just graduated college with an english degree (😅) but i’ve been working in nonprofits since I was 16 and lucked into an amazing first job with an one of the biggest and best real estate non-profits! I love my job so far, but it’s my first time being surrounded by such wealth (and very hard working, deserving individuals.) To be quite honest, I‘ve had a rough few years juggling multiple jobs to finish school, and the idea of myself not living paycheck to paycheck seems light years away. This is all being said, I guess I’m posing the question towards the group of what I can do now to start building that kind of future for myself. I find real estate very interesting, and i’ve loved learning about all the machinations behind development- I’m just not sure where to begin within the industry (investment/rentals are definitely not an option for me yet). I’m also looking to go back to school, but being that I don’t know where to start, I wouldn’t like to begin classes aga...