Plot + Build: Using a staged construction loan to build a home without tying up heavy capital. Does this make sense?
Hey all,
After speaking with several banks, I’ve decided to buy a plot and build a custom small house over a 3-4 year timeline using a staged construction loan.
Here is the financial breakdown and structure I’m setting up:
Land Plot: €50,000
Construction Budget: ~€200,000
Total Project Cost: ~€250,000
I’m contributing 20–30% of the overall project cost out-of-pocket, paid progressively on a percentage-of-completion basis over the 3-4 year build horizon.
The bank is funding the project in staged tranches tied to engineering progress checks. I get a 2-year grace period during construction, paying interest-only on the outstanding drawn amounts (working out to around 50% of a full installment for the released capital at any given point). 30-year amortizing term, though I plan to make extra principal contributions and pay it off earlier once built.
By funding via staged completion draws, I avoid tying up a massive lump sum of cash for down payments upfront. Building from scratch through this structured loan framework is proving cheaper overall than buying a finished turnkey property of equivalent size and location. Buying the land and immediately issuing the permit/pouring the skeleton secures the site without forcing immediate full drawdowns.
Have I missed something? Does this plan make sense?
[link] [comments]
source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1vvowsk/plot_build_using_a_staged_construction_loan_to/
Comments
Post a Comment