Skip to main content

Minnesota seller: At this point, wait for spring?

One of my goals for 2026 was to sell my 2-year-old, one-level home (purchase price 409K) and downsize to a more affordable townhome. Because my current home would be competing with new construction (in other developments; mine has been done for a while), the plan was to buy first, move, prep and stage, then list. But the buying side hasn't worked out as I'd hoped. New construction options I can afford come with major location drawbacks (near a data center or near a freight train; pick your poison), and rates are too high for resale (I currently have a 5.375% rate).

Given that it's mid-August now, and even if I found something today that I wanted to buy and could close quickly, I'd be listing in Minnesota in late September/early October, which is not ideal. There's also an unfortunate recent comp in my neighborhood that sat for six months and sold for 415K (though that was a 2-car garage, and mine is a 3-car garage). Earlier this year, previous comps in my neighborhood went for 460-485K, and when I started thinking about selling, realtors were estimating 440-450K sale price. Now I think the best-case scenario is closer to 425K.

At this point, should I just wait until spring? I know you can't time the market, but if I want to maximize sale price, it seems like that would be better? Does your advice change knowing that my likely buyer will be a retired person/couple and this is Minnesota, where snow doesn't melt until April?

submitted by /u/misfitmpls
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1vnd9g0/minnesota_seller_at_this_point_wait_for_spring/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

How to get started?

Hi! I’m 23F and I just graduated college with an english degree (😅) but i’ve been working in nonprofits since I was 16 and lucked into an amazing first job with an one of the biggest and best real estate non-profits! I love my job so far, but it’s my first time being surrounded by such wealth (and very hard working, deserving individuals.) To be quite honest, I‘ve had a rough few years juggling multiple jobs to finish school, and the idea of myself not living paycheck to paycheck seems light years away. This is all being said, I guess I’m posing the question towards the group of what I can do now to start building that kind of future for myself. I find real estate very interesting, and i’ve loved learning about all the machinations behind development- I’m just not sure where to begin within the industry (investment/rentals are definitely not an option for me yet). I’m also looking to go back to school, but being that I don’t know where to start, I wouldn’t like to begin classes aga...