I reside in a three-story house with a basement and an attic apartment that have been remodeled. The main floor, however, remains in disrepair and it’s not in the pictures of the house that’s up for sale. Two weeks ago, my landlord cousin informed my uncle that the property was up for sale unexpectedly. It was strange that she didn’t even mention it to me since I’m the one paying the rent. I’ve been complaining about numerous maintenance issues in the past six months. It appears that the landlord is reluctant to address these problems, as it took him an eternity to fix the hole in the wall caused by burst pipes in December. My landlord cousin, who is also a handyman, finally fixed it. She mentioned that the property has plumbing issues and that the pipes keep breaking during the winter, the owner, her cousin is too cheap. Now, all of a sudden, the property is up for sale.
A few days after the property listing went live, the realtor had contacted me because the landlord cousin gave out my number. The realtor called me, and she informed me that the rent would increase with the new owner. She then asked me when my lease would expire. I told her that it would be April 2027, when my lease is up. After u said that there was a strange silence on the phone. She then asked me what my monthly rent was. I told her, and she asked if I would be available for a showing to showcase my apartment because they have a potential buyer. I explained that I wouldn’t be available because I drive a long distance to work, and by the time I get home, it would be around 7 p.m. I suggested that a relative of mine would be available for the showing. The realtor was pleased with my suggestion and promised to call me with any updates or if I had any questions. There is a lockbox at the side back door and not at the front door. Soon that’s where the potential buyers are entering from.
Days later, the potential buyers visit my apartment. My mother is there, since I can’t be there. They arrive without the realtor because there’s a lockbox on the door. I also forgot to mention, I’ve been noticing people coming to the building anyway to view the entire house at random times without the realtor, and I didn’t think much of it, but I did not get notified that they were coming. However, on my camera the previous potential buyers try to come in my apartment but my doors are locked.
Anyway, the potential buyers knock on my door. My mother answers, and they were shocked when they saw my unit. One of them asks my mother when I’m moving out. She tells them that I won’t be moving out anytime soon because my lease isn’t up until April 2027. They also ask why the windows are broken out in the attic unit. My mother explains that there was another tenant there with unruly children who broke the windows before leaving.
The ladies ask more questions about the building, the garage, the neighbors, how the area is. My mother tells them to contact the landlord or the realtor because she doesn’t know everything; she only knows about certain things with the property and what her daughter (me) told. They walk around the building and then eventually leave.
I receive another text from the realtor this past Wednesday. She asks if I’m available for a showing on Friday (today). I didn’t respond because I work 10-12 hour days. She didn’t press the issue, so I left it alone. Days later That potential buyer comes by today, and AGAIN, there’s no realtor with them. Now, I’m feeling like my safety is in jeopardy. I’m annoyed now and don’t trust the realtor about what’s really going on behind the scenes with the landlord. There is a lot of lying going on. It’s strange to me.
The reality company I pay rent to has yet to provide me with any information about this situation of this house being put up for sale. I just signed the lease back in April with this company. I don’t know what my rights are. I feel like I’m the realtor or one of my family members are since they are available to show off my apartment since I’m at work. lol I’m so confused, but will soon reach out to a lawyer.
[link] [comments]
source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1vijt0j/is_the_realtor_supposed_to_be_at_showings/
Comments
Post a Comment