Skip to main content

First time buyer -- tax assessor's office shows value of property far lower than listed price

I am looking to buy a home in a fairly low value area (rural, low income, etc). I found a nice-looking property with the rare feature of not looking like it's been 20 feet under water. It has a newer-looking small doublewide and some features I really like, including a brand new (2017) metal building from a reputable builder that's been converted into a 2-bedroom apartment with double carport. It's listed for 115k, which is pretty high for the area, and has been listed for a long time (since October, also unusual for around here).

I've started the pre-approval process and have gotten back a quote for how much I'm looking at paying for it. The lender was referred to me by the realtor and they seem to know each other.

My folks went by the county tax assessor's office today while I was at work and pulled the records for that property, and found that it's valued at only about 70k. Not only that, but the "owner" listed is actually the real estate agent herself. (Edit: I pulled the record myself, the names are insanely similar, but I was able to visually ID them as two separate people with two separate home addresses, and not likely related. Not trying to be creepy, lol)

I am super new at home-buying. Normally, I feel like this is something I'd bring up to my realtor, but my realtor is apparently the owner (and therefore, in my opinion, motivated to screw me). Should I bring the assessment up with the lender? At what point should I make a lower offer? Is there a way to tell if the tax assessment is accurate?

I am a "high risk" buyer because I have barely-acceptable credit and no other assets, so I am already prepared to bleed out the nose. I figure that the lender is not going to approve a loan for that much of a discrepancy in value, but when should this come up?

submitted by /u/techleopard
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/evec7a/first_time_buyer_tax_assessors_office_shows_value/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Looking for Prospective Opportunities to Utilize Floor Plan Redraw Skills

"Hey HomeOwners & Investors , I have a team of 10 professionals who are trained in redrawing/redesign floor plans in both 2D and 3D interior& exterior using floorplanner.com/3ds Max and TruView point cloud. We're looking for prospective opportunities to utilize our skills. Are there any companies or individuals in need of accurate floor plans and measurement reports ? Any suggestions for where to start looking? Thanks in advance for your help!" submitted by /u/mangojuicelife [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/119uoh0/looking_for_prospective_opportunities_to_utilize/

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/