I have browsed through a couple threads on this topic but the circumstances were all slightly different and the ones that were close didn't have a ton of feedback.
I am a senior in college and recently purchase a rental property out of state with my brother. We inherited about 15 grand each 10 years ago which is how the down payment was funded. Daddy had nothing to do with it, he doesn't even work in the industry. I am beginning to apply to jobs in commercial real estate (goal is financial/research analyst in capital markets, asset management, or development) and am wondering if I should put this on my resume.
I feel that the experience from this endeavor is very relevant. I conducted extensive market research and financial due diligence to identify a value-add opportunity. I had to communicate with various RE stakeholders such as zoning departments, property managers, insurance companies, and contractors. And I feel that it is a unique undertaking for someone my age.
I am trying to bolster my resume as much as possible, obviously. My other relevant experience is one internship in property development, and participation in a nationwide property development competition (school team).
I understand some employers might worry that it would distract me. I can emphasize we have a property manager in place. I would hope that since the inheritance wasn't some ridiculous amount that concern of coming across as a "rich kid" wouldn't be too much of a concern.
Any input is appreciated.
TL;DR: In college, own a rental property, applying to jobs in real estate, should I put on my resume?
[link] [comments]
source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/evf7b7/college_student_own_a_rental_to_put_on_resume/
Comments
Post a Comment