What's up everybody! First time posting in this sub and I'm hoping I'm in the right place.
So I'm 24 and I've been saving up for a few years to buy my first home. I've been looking for over a year and I'm ready to move out now. I have about 25k saved up, and I've been approved for a loan up to 100k. I'm looking for a house for around 70-90k. I live in the Midwest, so houses are pretty cheap compared to other places. A really nice 3 bd and 2 br house with a big garage and basement can be found for 150k.
I'm a single dude so I don't need that much space. I've found a few nice houses in decent neighborhoods in my price range, but this is where my problem lies. My dad has disapproved of just about every single one. I should add that my dad is pretty good at remodeling. He's one of those guys that's a carpenter, plumber, electrician, drywall finisher, etc. I obviously want his input and advice but I feel like he's being unrealistic with some of the houses we've seen.
I've looked at over 100 possible homes online and 10 houses in person. My dad works a lot so he's only seen 3 of which I thought were perfect. The first one was great, but he didn't like the price. It was a little high but the house was in a great neighborhood, was fixed up great and all appliances would stay. He didn't like it so we waited. It went under contract a few days later. The other two, he didn't like the finish on the walls. I admit on one of them, it looked like they painted over wallpaper and there were some air bubbles. This was only in a few places and it didn't look horrible, but to him this was enough to straight up hate the house. The other house had a similar issue where parts of some walls weren't sanded down well enough and looked a little rough. I argued that the price was great and I really liked the neighborhood. I could not get him to budge. He says if I ever want to rent nobody will want it, because of the air bubbles or small imperfections on the wall... Like seriously?? I've mentioned that in the future I'd want to rent out the house, but it's only a possibility.
Anyways I feel like I'm ranting now. Basically I think he wants to find a house in perfect condition for an impossible price. What's a good way to approach him or what can I say to make him understand that I feel like he's being unreasonable? I have great respect for him and value his opinion and I don't want to shut him out and work this thing out by myself.
[link] [comments]
source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/cj5d85/first_time_home_buyer_with_a_serious_problem/
Comments
Post a Comment