Skip to main content

How to go about rent to own with family and them staying in the home?

Father recently passed and my brother is trying to tell the rest of us what we should do with dads estate and my very ALIVE mothers estate. To me, thats kinda messed up….. I have talked with mom about buying her house just to tell him to go suck it. Of course i do not have anywhere near the money needed. I do not want to take out a loan. I have talked with mom about giving her a certain amount of money per month (for x amount of years or death, whichever is first) allowing her to stay there until death, (even if i have paid for it in full) with me paying taxes and her just paying her utilities.

How could we legally go about doing this so my brother cant try to screw me in the end. (he already said he was going to contest her will… hope he does cause there is a clause that said if contested, the person contesting would get the share of a dead person. meaning nothing) This brother has always been horrible to her. Tells her he will come fix something then ghosts her. Says he will visit, doesnt show up. Tells her he didnt know about family dinners, when we talk about them in group chats. He has already threatened to not be my brother anymore if he doesnt get his way. He is about 15 years older than me, moved out before i started school and was never around while i was growing up. Its like i really didnt have a brother anyway.

Im guessing lawyers should be involved. What do we say to them? Should we just put it in a trust? Or property transfer and give her a lifetime estate? I just dont want to pay her all of these years and him to come back and take it from me.,. We are in Tennessee if that matters.

submitted by /u/KittyHawk2213
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1kuzck7/how_to_go_about_rent_to_own_with_family_and_them/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

How to get started?

Hi! I’m 23F and I just graduated college with an english degree (😅) but i’ve been working in nonprofits since I was 16 and lucked into an amazing first job with an one of the biggest and best real estate non-profits! I love my job so far, but it’s my first time being surrounded by such wealth (and very hard working, deserving individuals.) To be quite honest, I‘ve had a rough few years juggling multiple jobs to finish school, and the idea of myself not living paycheck to paycheck seems light years away. This is all being said, I guess I’m posing the question towards the group of what I can do now to start building that kind of future for myself. I find real estate very interesting, and i’ve loved learning about all the machinations behind development- I’m just not sure where to begin within the industry (investment/rentals are definitely not an option for me yet). I’m also looking to go back to school, but being that I don’t know where to start, I wouldn’t like to begin classes aga...