Skip to main content

Home inspection has repairs

I am currently in the process of purchasing a duplex. The property was on the market for approximately two months, and it appears to be overpriced given the necessary repairs and work it requires.
The duplex includes two basement units. One side of the duplex needs a full renovation and is in a very dirty and bad condition due to dirty tenants. We submitted a lower offer, $29k below the asking price, and proceeded with the inspection.
The inspection has some major repairs. Here is the inspection report summary:
Electrical panel:
- NEUTRAL "DOUBLE TAPPING"
The major issue with a double tapped is the natural expansion and contraction of the copper wire as it heats and cools. When current flows through a wire, it heats and expands. When current flow stops the wire cools and contracts. Double tapped neutrals can expand and contract enough to the point where the connection becomes loose. The loose connection could overheat and cause a fire.
- LARGE GUAGE WIRES CUT DOWN
At the time of inspection the wires for the sub panel in 111 were cut to fit into a breaker. This should be fixed.
- NEUTRAL "DOUBLE TAPPING": The major issue with a double tapped is the natural expansion and contraction of the copper wire as it heats and cools. When current flows through a wire, it heats and expands. When current flow stops the wire cools and contracts. Double tapped neutrals can expand and contract enough to the point where the connection becomes loose. The loose connection could overheat and cause a fire.
- NO GFCI PROTECTION INSTALLED
No GFCI protection present in all wet locations.
- Furnace 1 : EQUIPMENT SHORT CYCLING
At the time of inspection the furnace would not stay on. The unit would fire, and then shut off. This could be an issue with the flame sensor. The temperature in the house stay at 20.5 for my time there, however it ran for a few seconds at a time.
Recommend an HVAC tech evaluate the remedy before damage is done.
- Furnace 2: FURNACE COVER NOT INSTALLED AT TIME OF INSPECTION
At the time of inspection the furnace cover was off. Due to the InterNACHI standards of practice I was not able to test properly.
Recommend an HVAC technician evaluate and remedy.
- Roof
- MOSS ON ROOFING MATERIALS
- ROOF VENT DAMAGED
- DAMAGED (GENERAL)
- Roof coverings showed moderate damage. Appeared the North side of the structure was hammered by hail at some point.
I gathered quotes for all the repairs except for the electrical work. The quotes I received for the repairs amount to about $100k. If I decide to purchase this house, how should I navigate the situation? I do not want to get a money pit, need cash to put for repairs

submitted by /u/Alexa_12334
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/193295r/home_inspection_has_repairs/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

How to get started?

Hi! I’m 23F and I just graduated college with an english degree (😅) but i’ve been working in nonprofits since I was 16 and lucked into an amazing first job with an one of the biggest and best real estate non-profits! I love my job so far, but it’s my first time being surrounded by such wealth (and very hard working, deserving individuals.) To be quite honest, I‘ve had a rough few years juggling multiple jobs to finish school, and the idea of myself not living paycheck to paycheck seems light years away. This is all being said, I guess I’m posing the question towards the group of what I can do now to start building that kind of future for myself. I find real estate very interesting, and i’ve loved learning about all the machinations behind development- I’m just not sure where to begin within the industry (investment/rentals are definitely not an option for me yet). I’m also looking to go back to school, but being that I don’t know where to start, I wouldn’t like to begin classes aga...