Skip to main content

House didn't appraise, Buyer has to ask for appraiser to reconsider errors?

Hello all-

I'm in a medium COL area where the housing market has cooled SOME but the inventory is still relatively low. During my first weekend looking, I found 2 houses I liked. The first one was clearly listed about 80k above what it would appraise at (and is still on the market weeks later) and the other I felt was somewhat close. I bid on the #2 at asking with an appraisal and inspection contingency. So yeah I went the old school traditional way, and I got the house. ..and here's where it gets funky (at least for me).

The house appraisal came back $27K below offer (house is in the 350-400k range). My Realtor expected that too happen to so I wasn't too surprised. The owners are asking for the appraisal to be reviewed/reconsidered because of some errors in how they assessed the comps. Specifically an error where one of the comps is recorded as one bath being a 1/2 when its a full and this (according to my Realtor) is indeed an error but would only equal 3-4K of an adjustment if the appraiser would consider the mistake at all. There are a few other inconsistencies but are insignificant according to my rep.

Where the process is different is that Im using the VA Loan, which requires me file a formal request for adjustment with all the why's and how much'es vice the owner. I have to draft up a letter and submit it. This process could take a few weeks and Im due to close in that time.

I have complicated feelings over me being the one to ask to pay more money when it won't make up the difference of the appraisal and I have zero interest in paying over appraisal. I understand that I may lose houses over that fact, Im not that in love with this place. The selling realtor stated that they knew the price was above market, but was "hoping in this market".....etc".

My position as of this morning is to have them make a decision based on the appraisal and walk if they say they won't lower to that amount. I would consider if they countered with reducing all but the few $k but Im not sure what Id do then.

What say all of you in this case?

submitted by /u/YupJustanotherJames
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/sfi6s0/house_didnt_appraise_buyer_has_to_ask_for/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aren't comps/CMAs useless with buyer credits at close happening now?

I'm looking into buying a new construction townhouse in my HCOL US city. I'm seeing builders offering interest rate buydowns worth $20k-$60k on $800k homes (rather than just lowering prices) in order to keep their comps high for their other units, now that buyer demand has been declining. I asked my agent about these, and he said these buydowns aren't even the full story: buyers can write all kinds of other credits into an offer, like their closing costs, prepaid sewer fees, etc. Apparently cash buyers can just write in a "buyer credit at close" for any amount in their offer. So a new townhouse that appeared to sell for $800k in the MLS might have actually been a cash offer with a $100k+ buyer credit at close, meaning the buyer only spent $700k or less in total, but to the rest of the world they can only see the $800k! So that made me realize I can't trust comps/CMAs for other new construction townhouses. The sales prices could be way lower than they appear

Fast Rising HOA Fees on NYC Condo, No Budget Provided

My wife and I are first time homeowners and could use some advice on a situation we've been having with our management company and Board. We bought a condo in Brooklyn two years ago, and since then our HOA fees have climbed dramatically. In August of last year, our fees were increased by ~30% and just yesterday we received notice that this new figure would be increased by 16% as of June 1st. The by-laws for our building state that ten days before such a change goes into effect, the Board must provide unit owners with the itemized budget upon which the new numbers were based. This didn't happen last year, and when I asked the management company about it, they just kept vaguely insisting the Board had done due diligence. After I kept pressing, they finally sent a budget that was several years old, so obviously not the one that the new numbers were based on. When I asked the management company for contact information for the Board to get further clarification, I was told that th

How to create fidelity investments current bank statement for lender during escrow

I transferred a certain amount to my bank account to complete the minimum down payment required. The bank wants a current statement of the transaction. Unfortunately, fidelity only does quarterly statements so a December statement is not available and we are due to close next week. I called fidelity and they they can only provide a letter but the bank said that won’t suffice. Any way I can find or make one of my own that has my account number/name along with all the recent month’s activities? submitted by /u/bodaciousbeans [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/zmnnqo/how_to_create_fidelity_investments_current_bank/