Skip to main content

Two houses on my property

So this is going to be quite a ramble, and I'm not even sure what my main question is, but I would really appreciate some comments from some people wiser in this area than I. Please ask questions if I have left any info out; I could only guess at what info was relevant here, and as such, included some stray facts and questions to help explain things.

We bought a property in May, consisting of 3 parcels. The large parcel includes our home, but it also has a 2nd home in its "backyard." The second home is much older, and actually faces a road and has its own address. We, of course, live in the nice, newer house. The new one is essentially the house we bought, but now we also own the old home on the property (and paid for it too). But now, we're wondering what to do with it.

Our mortgage company has told us that if we add ~18,000 in value to our property, we can refinance with a significantly better interest rate. Even though the second home is not a primary residence (though it is on the property of our primary residence), if we renovate the second house to make it livable, even if no one is presently living in it, can we get a new appraisal of both homes together and increase the total value of the property? Maybe that's my main question there.

​

Stray facts:

-- The appraisal that accompanied our buying process referred to the second home (since it was unlivable) as a workshop

-- The mother of the previous owner lived in the old home for years; when she died, they moved into it, and subsequently had the new house built on the property.

-- The old house was gutted. e.g. it's missing some of the plumbing and fixtures, hot water tank, furnace.

-- the old house has its own separate physical address, but the county assessor shows that it's on the same parcel as our own home

-- We did have an inspector of sorts give the place a decent once-over, and they reported back that there are some utilities and other necessary updates, but otherwise, though it's dirty and clearly unlived-in for many years, it's got pretty good bones and no foundation issues.

​

Stray questions:

-- a dumb one . . . I suppose my property tax paid to the county will go up if we renovate the house up to being livable?

-- are there any unforeseen (to me) consequences of owning two livable residences, but only living in one? I'm thinking about confusing the mortgage company, messing up my taxes, etc. (I don't really even know what else.

-- what makes a house livable, technically-speaking? Is there even a technical meaning of the word?

-- anyone else with a clever idea of what to do with the property? Demolishing would be pricier, and honestly provide little to no benefit. Leaving it there is just a bit of an eyesore, but that's it.

submitted by /u/brmoser
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/ko57sf/two_houses_on_my_property/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

How to get started?

Hi! I’m 23F and I just graduated college with an english degree (😅) but i’ve been working in nonprofits since I was 16 and lucked into an amazing first job with an one of the biggest and best real estate non-profits! I love my job so far, but it’s my first time being surrounded by such wealth (and very hard working, deserving individuals.) To be quite honest, I‘ve had a rough few years juggling multiple jobs to finish school, and the idea of myself not living paycheck to paycheck seems light years away. This is all being said, I guess I’m posing the question towards the group of what I can do now to start building that kind of future for myself. I find real estate very interesting, and i’ve loved learning about all the machinations behind development- I’m just not sure where to begin within the industry (investment/rentals are definitely not an option for me yet). I’m also looking to go back to school, but being that I don’t know where to start, I wouldn’t like to begin classes aga...