Skip to main content

Having a realtor / broker family member put in offer to save commission? [SF CA]

I am currently in the housing market for the first time and have been working with a real estate agent. They have been very helpful providing market knowledge setting up viewing and tours. However, almost all of the listings they have shown me are also on websites like redfin where i could set up tours myself. I also have a family member who has been a mortgage lender / broker for many years tell me that instead of using a real estate agent, that we should find it on our own on redfin and that they could put in the offer for us and give us the commission the buying agent would normally make. I believe they have done this in the past for other family members.

My concern is that my family member lives in a smaller town suburb in a different part of the state and are not familiar with the hyper competitive SF housing market. However, this family member has 25 years of experience in mortgage lending and RE brokerage. If I could truly save 30k or so by going with the family member like they tell me i could, i think it would make sense to sever the relationship with the RE agent if we do not go with any of the properties they have already shown us.

Is this a common thing to do? I obviously would want to save 30k if I could but I also don't want to do something that would make me less competitive in the SF market if things are done a very specific way here. The RE agent has been great as well so I don't want to do them dirty but 30k is 30k.

Any insight would be appreciated.

submitted by /u/Dr0me
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/evz6v0/having_a_realtor_broker_family_member_put_in/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

How to get started?

Hi! I’m 23F and I just graduated college with an english degree (😅) but i’ve been working in nonprofits since I was 16 and lucked into an amazing first job with an one of the biggest and best real estate non-profits! I love my job so far, but it’s my first time being surrounded by such wealth (and very hard working, deserving individuals.) To be quite honest, I‘ve had a rough few years juggling multiple jobs to finish school, and the idea of myself not living paycheck to paycheck seems light years away. This is all being said, I guess I’m posing the question towards the group of what I can do now to start building that kind of future for myself. I find real estate very interesting, and i’ve loved learning about all the machinations behind development- I’m just not sure where to begin within the industry (investment/rentals are definitely not an option for me yet). I’m also looking to go back to school, but being that I don’t know where to start, I wouldn’t like to begin classes aga...