Skip to main content

Considering purchasing an older home (1960) requiring a lot of updates, need advice please!

Hey all, approaching the end of an option period buying a home near Dallas Texas.
The plan is to move into the house and live in it for 1 year, fix it up, and then move out and rent it with the goal of keeping it as a long term investment (20+ years).

Description: Its a small, 1 story, 1200 sq/ft 3 bed 2 bath home from 1961. Fully updated with builder's grade we expect to be worth $200K.

Cons: The house is move in ready but very old, nearly everything in the home is outdated (carpet, appliances, paint, etc) but they all work. Also the foundation has issues but mostly under warranty and we are negotiating on extra costs with the seller to re-mediate. There are old cracks on many of the interior dry walls from historic foundation issues that need repair. We expect some electrical and plumbing updates are needed but awaiting additional inspections (everything works but might not be up to date/code - plumbing does looks to be pvc).

Pros: The plus side is that the roof is being replaced by the seller, the HVAC and Water heater are only about 7 years old and in great working order, and all of the windows are new throughout the house.

What we would really like your advice on is how much a home like this on average costs to update enough (builder's grade) to get up to speed to rent. We had read to expect somewhere around $18K for a full remodel of a home around this size. Also if the soil in north Dallas moves so much, is that of a large concern renting and holding long term if constant fixes are required. Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thank you

submitted by /u/ORFALICIOUS
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/dao1l4/considering_purchasing_an_older_home_1960/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

How to get started?

Hi! I’m 23F and I just graduated college with an english degree (😅) but i’ve been working in nonprofits since I was 16 and lucked into an amazing first job with an one of the biggest and best real estate non-profits! I love my job so far, but it’s my first time being surrounded by such wealth (and very hard working, deserving individuals.) To be quite honest, I‘ve had a rough few years juggling multiple jobs to finish school, and the idea of myself not living paycheck to paycheck seems light years away. This is all being said, I guess I’m posing the question towards the group of what I can do now to start building that kind of future for myself. I find real estate very interesting, and i’ve loved learning about all the machinations behind development- I’m just not sure where to begin within the industry (investment/rentals are definitely not an option for me yet). I’m also looking to go back to school, but being that I don’t know where to start, I wouldn’t like to begin classes aga...