Skip to main content

Pre-1976 manufactured home as vacation home - am I stupid?

Made an offer on a 1973 manufactured home on a permanent foundation by the beach. The trailer is cute, well-preserved and in pretty good condition, but the more I read about old trailers the more concerned I get.

I still have time to back out at inspection, on my first walkthrough I noticed a few random issues that will require fixing, and I'm sure there will be others.

The trailer is on a neighborhood street [NOT a trailer park] in a scruffy but established beach area with a mix of trailers and houses, some quite nice, some crappy. No lease, no HOA, I will own the 5000 sf lot straightaway. It is on my favorite block for walkability/quiet, and has beach access, and great water views.

I'm only paying $30 or $40k over what I estimate to be the value of the land, and 20-30% less than a small house nearby would cost. You could one day tear it down and build a great view house. I'm not going to do this soon, but in 10 years it might be realistic.

The trailer would be for personal vacations, with a goal of eventually serving as a short-term rental 30-40 days out of the year.

Will I regret going through with this? I feel like it pencils out but maybe the fact that it's an ancient trailer makes this unwise.

submitted by /u/ibickford
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1kxaozg/pre1976_manufactured_home_as_vacation_home_am_i/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

How to get started?

Hi! I’m 23F and I just graduated college with an english degree (😅) but i’ve been working in nonprofits since I was 16 and lucked into an amazing first job with an one of the biggest and best real estate non-profits! I love my job so far, but it’s my first time being surrounded by such wealth (and very hard working, deserving individuals.) To be quite honest, I‘ve had a rough few years juggling multiple jobs to finish school, and the idea of myself not living paycheck to paycheck seems light years away. This is all being said, I guess I’m posing the question towards the group of what I can do now to start building that kind of future for myself. I find real estate very interesting, and i’ve loved learning about all the machinations behind development- I’m just not sure where to begin within the industry (investment/rentals are definitely not an option for me yet). I’m also looking to go back to school, but being that I don’t know where to start, I wouldn’t like to begin classes aga...