Skip to main content

Renovation loan or traditional and pay for renovation out-of-pocket?

I’m curious about what the best route on a renovation loan versus just a loan against the actual purchase price of the house in a pricey neighborhood and footing the renovation cost. Quite literally the worst house in the best neighborhood.

Let’s say $500k purchase and $200k renovation, $800-900k post renovation appraisal.

I’m wondering if it’s better to pay for them separately, or bundle them all together in a renovation loan and have to pay for the mortgage at the new appraised cost, as opposed to the purchase price.

I understand taxes are always a thing, but I’m curious if doing them separately and anticipating paying taxes at the end of the year would be a cost save in the long run.

We have a nice inherited nest egg that we’re not touching and we want to make this work within our current means. Without disclosing too much, we’re in a house with a $2,400 mortgage now and could comfortably 2x it. We also have 400-600k coming within the next 5 years that I plan on 1031 exchanging into our mortgage. Just can’t predict when based on multiple factors.

TIA!

submitted by /u/KawhiTheKing
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1hdxs0a/renovation_loan_or_traditional_and_pay_for/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

How to get started?

Hi! I’m 23F and I just graduated college with an english degree (😅) but i’ve been working in nonprofits since I was 16 and lucked into an amazing first job with an one of the biggest and best real estate non-profits! I love my job so far, but it’s my first time being surrounded by such wealth (and very hard working, deserving individuals.) To be quite honest, I‘ve had a rough few years juggling multiple jobs to finish school, and the idea of myself not living paycheck to paycheck seems light years away. This is all being said, I guess I’m posing the question towards the group of what I can do now to start building that kind of future for myself. I find real estate very interesting, and i’ve loved learning about all the machinations behind development- I’m just not sure where to begin within the industry (investment/rentals are definitely not an option for me yet). I’m also looking to go back to school, but being that I don’t know where to start, I wouldn’t like to begin classes aga...