Skip to main content

Tell me if I should make an offer

Me (33F) and hubby (37M) own a home in very popular family-friendly suburb of M/HCOL city. $260k per year combined gross income. Looking to upgrade in house and keep our current home as a rental property. This is my (our) first foray into real estate investing and looking for opinions. TIA!

Stats:

Current house: Valued around $600k, 15-year mortgage is around $3k, including taxes and insurance. Expected rental income also would be around $3k. We owe $240k on it and will be paid off in 10 years.

House I want to buy: Originally priced $1.03M, now at $895, and we think they might accept $840 (we get here via another sale price reduction, and a 321 buydown). Very motivated sellers. It’s beautiful, great location, checks all the boxes for us. My husband isn’t totally sold on some of the finishes (house leans a bit more classic than modern/trendy, I am okay with this, I sort of like that about it). We would put 10% down, and one of us would take a 401k loan. We make significant contributions to our 401s currently, my thought is that whoever takes the loan will just pause their contributions while they pay back the loan, essentially making the net paycheck the same.

The kicker - we have a one year old and therefore, an expensive childcare bill rn. Around $3k /mo. Obv this is not factored into our DTI and the pre approval letter from our lender. We have no other debt besides the mortgage on our current home.

Do we pull the trigger? Payment on new house for the first 3 years would be $5000, $5300, $5600 respectively. Thought is that we would refi before the end of the first three years. I am really worried that when things get “easier” for us within the next couple years , houses will have gone up, as they always do, and we won’t be in a position to buy a new home and keep our current home as a rental. For example, I could see us buying a different house down the road a bit for $950+, and making significant sacrifices (I.e. unfinished basement. The house I’m thinking about has a finished basement.) I feel like this is the one shot I have to buy a great house, stay under the conventional loan limits, AND keep our current home.

submitted by /u/Successful_Highway85
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1gon0m4/tell_me_if_i_should_make_an_offer/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

How to get started?

Hi! I’m 23F and I just graduated college with an english degree (😅) but i’ve been working in nonprofits since I was 16 and lucked into an amazing first job with an one of the biggest and best real estate non-profits! I love my job so far, but it’s my first time being surrounded by such wealth (and very hard working, deserving individuals.) To be quite honest, I‘ve had a rough few years juggling multiple jobs to finish school, and the idea of myself not living paycheck to paycheck seems light years away. This is all being said, I guess I’m posing the question towards the group of what I can do now to start building that kind of future for myself. I find real estate very interesting, and i’ve loved learning about all the machinations behind development- I’m just not sure where to begin within the industry (investment/rentals are definitely not an option for me yet). I’m also looking to go back to school, but being that I don’t know where to start, I wouldn’t like to begin classes aga...