Skip to main content

Should be closing soon

Am I being petty or is the seller? I don't think this has been the worst negotiation process but it's been tedious. We originally had inspections on the house we are buying a few weeks back; those consisted of a home inspection, septic inspection and pool inspection. We negotiated on some repairs. We preferred a credit but we were satisfied with the scope of work being done to remediate mold and address the leak that caused it.

So we moved forward, but about 2 weeks ago, the septic company found out that they missed the bathroom in the pool house and needed to get back out to the house to inspect it. It was past the inspection period, where we could no longer ask for repairs regarding the pool house if something came up.

At first the seller agreed, upon us signing an addendum stating "we would not use pool house as a way to ask for additional concessions, and it's for your information only". We signed. However, the Sunday of the next week came and we got an email from their attorney saying the "buyer no longer agrees to the inspection of the pool house, or the language in the addendum".

So they wouldn't allow the septic company back in. Usually the report of the septic company would be released to the county. Technically,because the pool house was not inspected, the inspector would mark in the report as"unfounded and needs further investigation" according to the septic company's owner. That would cause the county to not issue a Certificate of Continued Occupancy, until it's been re-inspected and deemed up to code. Normally, that would be the case, but the Seller already received a CCO prior to listing the house.

Because they would not let us back in to the pool house, they ended up allowing a concession of 15K as a way to move the deal forward. Our attorney negotiated with their attorney and we signed an addendum recognizing the scope of work they agreed to perform, along with the additional credit.

We are 6 days from closing but 2 days ago, the seller's agent reached out and asked if we wanted the pool opened or closed. We wanted it open, the agent said "it's 1400 that's prepaid to close the pool in October, could we deduct 1400 from the sellers credit". I reluctantly agreed, because one shouldn't have to do with the other in my opinion, but chalked up to it being my cost regardless. Yesterday, the seller's agent reached back out and said "it's 1800 to close the pool". At that point, I just asked my agent to just say "I don't agree with giving a credit now because it's not being handled the right way". My response was more wordy but that's the basic sentiment.

The seller's agent responded back "my seller will just close the pool now then".

We'd like to enjoy the pool for a bit before closing. I don't mind paying the money to close it myself, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth that proposed this last minute, and then doubled back for more.

Am I being stupid or petty for not wanting to budge now?

submitted by /u/Youmadashell
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1f03dpw/should_be_closing_soon/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aren't comps/CMAs useless with buyer credits at close happening now?

I'm looking into buying a new construction townhouse in my HCOL US city. I'm seeing builders offering interest rate buydowns worth $20k-$60k on $800k homes (rather than just lowering prices) in order to keep their comps high for their other units, now that buyer demand has been declining. I asked my agent about these, and he said these buydowns aren't even the full story: buyers can write all kinds of other credits into an offer, like their closing costs, prepaid sewer fees, etc. Apparently cash buyers can just write in a "buyer credit at close" for any amount in their offer. So a new townhouse that appeared to sell for $800k in the MLS might have actually been a cash offer with a $100k+ buyer credit at close, meaning the buyer only spent $700k or less in total, but to the rest of the world they can only see the $800k! So that made me realize I can't trust comps/CMAs for other new construction townhouses. The sales prices could be way lower than they appear

Fast Rising HOA Fees on NYC Condo, No Budget Provided

My wife and I are first time homeowners and could use some advice on a situation we've been having with our management company and Board. We bought a condo in Brooklyn two years ago, and since then our HOA fees have climbed dramatically. In August of last year, our fees were increased by ~30% and just yesterday we received notice that this new figure would be increased by 16% as of June 1st. The by-laws for our building state that ten days before such a change goes into effect, the Board must provide unit owners with the itemized budget upon which the new numbers were based. This didn't happen last year, and when I asked the management company about it, they just kept vaguely insisting the Board had done due diligence. After I kept pressing, they finally sent a budget that was several years old, so obviously not the one that the new numbers were based on. When I asked the management company for contact information for the Board to get further clarification, I was told that th

Obtaining a real estate license as a hobby?

Hello, I am 24 years old - 2 years out of college and I have my main job. I was looking to get a real estate license (in California if location matters) as a hobby/for fun since I like real estate ever since I was in high school. In the past 2 years, I would go to open house in the weekends to look at homes for fun. I don’t plan to practice real estate full time as I have my main job but I am curious are there any benefits to this? In the future, I plan to own multiple properties and have rentals, so I was wondering if getting a real estate license can help me with it? Thanks submitted by /u/AlohVera [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1f0qx9i/obtaining_a_real_estate_license_as_a_hobby/