Skip to main content

Need advice on if we're making the right decision with our home sale.

This might be kind of long, but I have a lot of thoughts about this situation, and my realtor has not been very much help at all.

For some context on our situation and the driving force of my stress on this: The loan for the new home we are purchasing is contingent on the sale of our current home. My wife is receiving a physicians loan for her residency. We found out in March and she starts in June. I don't have a job lined up in the new city yet, so our loan is dependent on the sale of our current home. We are also currently under contract to purchase a home in the new city. This is in Missouri if that helps as well.

We listed our house at the end of last month on a Friday. By Saturday, we had an offer and took it immediately. Our listing price was $184,900 (I wanted to list at $190k, and the realtor talked me down.) The offer we received was for $190k but with a $5,700 seller's concession. We were okay with that. Then the inspection and appraisal came. First of all, the appraisal put the home at $188k in its current condition. The inspection found a few areas of damage to the siding, soffit, and fascia (there are just a few areas on the entire house, they have water damage due to no flashing being installed on the gutters originally.)

The buyers asked for us to replace all of the siding, soffit, fascia, and flashing on the entire house. The inspection didn't indicate that the rest of the house needed it, only those few areas. Obviously, we don't want to cover the cost of such a huge replacement, especially if the appraisal put the house at $188k and we're already getting less than that out of this house. There were a couple of other minor things they asked us to fix, like one of the windows has a broken lock and there is a board in the crawl space with a large crack in it.

I've talked to so many people about this, and they all agree that it's a ridiculous ask and that we should just say no and not adjust the price at all. Our realtor is constantly saying things like "well, they will probably walk away from the contract if you say no, and that means your home purchase in the new city will likely fall through as well. Are you willing to let that happen over a few thousand dollars?" I guess he doesn't think our house will go under contract again very quickly if we have to go back on the market?

We got quoted for the all of the siding, soffit, fascia, and flashing to be replaced at $9k. Of course, the inspection doesn't say it needs to be all replaced, just those few spots which should certainly cost less than $9k (and I don't feel like I'm exaggerating on how few spots there are. It's a nearly 1500 sqft home, and there are four areas of siding, one area of soffit, and one area of fascia, but all of the flashing on all of the gutters due to not ever being installed when it was built)

So we signed our counter last night, which my realtor doesn't seem to think they will accept, but everyone I've talked to in my family about it says that it's way more than generous considering the current market. Our counter was that we are lowering the price to $188k, keeping their $5700 concession, and adding an additional $1,300 for repairs, and agreeing to fix the window lock and the board in the crawl space.

I know that it's already signed and now we're waiting to hear back, but was this the right decision? This is honestly the most stressed and conflicted I've ever felt about anything in my life because I want to get what I feel like the home is worth, but I also don't want to have to go back on the market and lose out on our home purchase as well.

submitted by /u/Thrustinn
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1cbvj65/need_advice_on_if_were_making_the_right_decision/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aren't comps/CMAs useless with buyer credits at close happening now?

I'm looking into buying a new construction townhouse in my HCOL US city. I'm seeing builders offering interest rate buydowns worth $20k-$60k on $800k homes (rather than just lowering prices) in order to keep their comps high for their other units, now that buyer demand has been declining. I asked my agent about these, and he said these buydowns aren't even the full story: buyers can write all kinds of other credits into an offer, like their closing costs, prepaid sewer fees, etc. Apparently cash buyers can just write in a "buyer credit at close" for any amount in their offer. So a new townhouse that appeared to sell for $800k in the MLS might have actually been a cash offer with a $100k+ buyer credit at close, meaning the buyer only spent $700k or less in total, but to the rest of the world they can only see the $800k! So that made me realize I can't trust comps/CMAs for other new construction townhouses. The sales prices could be way lower than they appear

Fast Rising HOA Fees on NYC Condo, No Budget Provided

My wife and I are first time homeowners and could use some advice on a situation we've been having with our management company and Board. We bought a condo in Brooklyn two years ago, and since then our HOA fees have climbed dramatically. In August of last year, our fees were increased by ~30% and just yesterday we received notice that this new figure would be increased by 16% as of June 1st. The by-laws for our building state that ten days before such a change goes into effect, the Board must provide unit owners with the itemized budget upon which the new numbers were based. This didn't happen last year, and when I asked the management company about it, they just kept vaguely insisting the Board had done due diligence. After I kept pressing, they finally sent a budget that was several years old, so obviously not the one that the new numbers were based on. When I asked the management company for contact information for the Board to get further clarification, I was told that th

How to create fidelity investments current bank statement for lender during escrow

I transferred a certain amount to my bank account to complete the minimum down payment required. The bank wants a current statement of the transaction. Unfortunately, fidelity only does quarterly statements so a December statement is not available and we are due to close next week. I called fidelity and they they can only provide a letter but the bank said that won’t suffice. Any way I can find or make one of my own that has my account number/name along with all the recent month’s activities? submitted by /u/bodaciousbeans [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/zmnnqo/how_to_create_fidelity_investments_current_bank/