Skip to main content

Does New Construction make sense for me or just stay where I'm at?

To give a bit of background, I'm in the fortunate position to where I currently live in my family's home paying only about $300 a month.

I work in IT making just a little over 6 figures and have saved close to 300k. Work remote, so no need to head to the city. Single with no significant other.

The homes in my region (IL) are all easily above 400k, new construction being 500k+. Even with what I've saved monthly payments usually amount to $3000+. (3.2% property tax)

I recently found a new construction ranch about 15 minutes away from my family's place, that after adding all options ended up being 462k. Love the house, right next to the train station if I ever want to go into the city. But it's in farmland Illinois in a town that hasn't expanded for over 20 years, has higher than normal property taxes, and is further away from the city. Adding icing on the debbie-downer cake, it's base price has increased nearly 100k since 2 years ago when the neighborhood was being developed.

I'm struggling with my thoughts, I love the house, don't love the location. Being a first time homebuyer, I'm constantly worried about overpaying on overpriced properties in the off chance of a potential market correction. There's no rush for me to move, as folks haven't kicked me out and want me to stay. I want to finally get my own place, but don't want to be scalped for it...

submitted by /u/Master_Pumpkin_6489
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1bllq27/does_new_construction_make_sense_for_me_or_just/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

How to get started?

Hi! I’m 23F and I just graduated college with an english degree (😅) but i’ve been working in nonprofits since I was 16 and lucked into an amazing first job with an one of the biggest and best real estate non-profits! I love my job so far, but it’s my first time being surrounded by such wealth (and very hard working, deserving individuals.) To be quite honest, I‘ve had a rough few years juggling multiple jobs to finish school, and the idea of myself not living paycheck to paycheck seems light years away. This is all being said, I guess I’m posing the question towards the group of what I can do now to start building that kind of future for myself. I find real estate very interesting, and i’ve loved learning about all the machinations behind development- I’m just not sure where to begin within the industry (investment/rentals are definitely not an option for me yet). I’m also looking to go back to school, but being that I don’t know where to start, I wouldn’t like to begin classes aga...