Skip to main content

How long before foreclosure?

My old neighbor (Jack) took care of an elderly man and lived in his house. The older man passed 18 months ago. Since his “estate” was left to Jack all bills are his responsibility. The man he took care of (Steve) had no assets, just debts. So Jack inherited a whole ton of bills and no way to pay them. He is mentally disabled (refuses meds for his mental health) and hasn’t had a job or income for 20+ years!

The plot thickens because he’s a hoarder. Yes, just like the TV show. Because he couldn’t afford his water bills and now you can’t access the bathroom (filled with garbage) he relieves himself in various receptacles. He doesn’t take out his trash because he’s sure people are going to go through it. You get the idea!

Of course the mortgage company gave him some leniency and time to sell the house and settle the estate. However, it’s been 18 months since he made a payment. The courts have him 5 more months. (This is like the 4th extension). The house won’t sell because it can even be shown. He’s too paranoid to let anyone in and there’s barely a goat path anymore.

I’m wondering how long the mortgage company and/or the courts will allow this? His lawyer and realtor know he’s off his meds, they know the state of his home, etc. shouldn’t someone be contacting Adult Protection Services? What’s going to happen in 5 months when he can’t pay? I must be missing something, but I have access to all of his court documents, etc. How does this happen and what’s a likely outcome?

submitted by /u/mamaleigh05
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1aqjajl/how_long_before_foreclosure/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

How to get started?

Hi! I’m 23F and I just graduated college with an english degree (😅) but i’ve been working in nonprofits since I was 16 and lucked into an amazing first job with an one of the biggest and best real estate non-profits! I love my job so far, but it’s my first time being surrounded by such wealth (and very hard working, deserving individuals.) To be quite honest, I‘ve had a rough few years juggling multiple jobs to finish school, and the idea of myself not living paycheck to paycheck seems light years away. This is all being said, I guess I’m posing the question towards the group of what I can do now to start building that kind of future for myself. I find real estate very interesting, and i’ve loved learning about all the machinations behind development- I’m just not sure where to begin within the industry (investment/rentals are definitely not an option for me yet). I’m also looking to go back to school, but being that I don’t know where to start, I wouldn’t like to begin classes aga...