Skip to main content

stepmom sees my dream apartment as an opportunity to invest

(this is my first reddit post so excuse me for formatting errors etc, also sorry if this is the wrong place to post this)

Story: I 25f have been renting my absolute dream appartment for a year now, I live in Egypt and my dad and his wife + her kids live together in the Netherlands.

three months ago the owner of my appartment decided he wants to sell the place and I spoke with my dad about my concern— dad then offered to help me with applying for a mortgage under my name so I could make an offer to buy it.

Soon we found out I cant apply for a dutch mortgage under my name because I need to own one property in the Netherlands before I can get a mortgage for a property abroad. My dad offered to apply for it and through verbal agreement I would pay off the mortgage with his help (faster= less bank costs), and it would be mine/registered on my name after i paid off the mortgage completely, including the part he paid. I was so grateful and couldnt believe he offered to do this.

My dad applied for the mortgage, the appartment was sold to him for 85.000eu. He and his wife came to Egypt to sign everything, all went well and I couldnt be more happy.

but shortly after the celebration my stepmom told me about how she is also involved (as his wife she has a say in everything) and sees this appartment as an opportunity & investment for her kids aswell. This was not mentioned before they signed to buy the place so it was a hard pill to swallow.

When I told them on whatsapp one month ago after valuation of my appartment: "its worth more than the original 85.000— its now worth €130.000 and expected to rise in value" they started to discuss together in private (dad n stepmom) about who gets what apon hearing this. Her first response was apparently for me just to rent from them or they rent it out as airbnb and that I not ever own anything. But my dad told her its not really fair and they'll make a deal that I can also 'benefit' from this all denying his original verbal agreement of me just paying of the full mortgage and it becoming mine.

Dad therefor decided with her that is only fair if I pay off (x)% of the mortgage and they pay off (x)% that we will also split the profit under the same % when its sold, but im afraid this means that they will pay off their mortgage asap and sell the appartment at the first chance they will get & ill be left with just a tiny % and unable to buy this appartment from them or any other appartment in the neighbourhood, or have to BUY them out meaning I pay 100% of the mortgage and then start paying them 50% of the profit/property value before it will even be registered under my name.

I wonder if they even have the patience for me to pay their part of the mortgage+profit with €550 p.m. payments before selling it or that they force me to get a lending from the bank to buy them out when the time comes that they paid off the mortgage themself.

the mortgage payment will cost me around 550euros a month whereas renting in the area is only about 200-300euros a month.. although i cant deny that not paying rent anymore and dont have to look for a new place to stay, for now, is very good news..

So after they told me their plan I didnt agree apon hearing it because buying them out might cost twice as much as the whole mortgage itself and I got the response from dads wife "we are taking a lot of risks, we can use the profit to divide under our children, its an investment and we all benefit from it, we were planning to invest in something else but now we choose this" I agree with her to some degree but dad offered to help me secure my dreamhome forever because I couldnt get a mortgage myself and now they see it as 'their investment'.

I feel like my dad had clear intentions and solely did this to help me but now his wife apparently left her other investment dreams aside to invest in my forever home.

am I unreasonable/ungrateful for questioning this whole thing before I agree to it? what should i do?

edit: I DO agree with them on the part that they should get something in return for what they 'sacrifice' by applying for this mortgage etc. but should it really come at the vague, maybe extremely high cost of buying them out before its mine?

Dad now views that his verbal agreement is unrealistic and cant remember saying it. He also says it seems like I am puting them through this just to hold my hand up and get all the profit myself— when this is not my intention at all. I just want to pay off the mortgage and live here forever, and not have to worry about paying off the mortgage and then having to pay them the 50% of overvalue for the rest of my life.

submitted by /u/Any-Prompt-7435
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/18lys6c/stepmom_sees_my_dream_apartment_as_an_opportunity/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aren't comps/CMAs useless with buyer credits at close happening now?

I'm looking into buying a new construction townhouse in my HCOL US city. I'm seeing builders offering interest rate buydowns worth $20k-$60k on $800k homes (rather than just lowering prices) in order to keep their comps high for their other units, now that buyer demand has been declining. I asked my agent about these, and he said these buydowns aren't even the full story: buyers can write all kinds of other credits into an offer, like their closing costs, prepaid sewer fees, etc. Apparently cash buyers can just write in a "buyer credit at close" for any amount in their offer. So a new townhouse that appeared to sell for $800k in the MLS might have actually been a cash offer with a $100k+ buyer credit at close, meaning the buyer only spent $700k or less in total, but to the rest of the world they can only see the $800k! So that made me realize I can't trust comps/CMAs for other new construction townhouses. The sales prices could be way lower than they appear

Fast Rising HOA Fees on NYC Condo, No Budget Provided

My wife and I are first time homeowners and could use some advice on a situation we've been having with our management company and Board. We bought a condo in Brooklyn two years ago, and since then our HOA fees have climbed dramatically. In August of last year, our fees were increased by ~30% and just yesterday we received notice that this new figure would be increased by 16% as of June 1st. The by-laws for our building state that ten days before such a change goes into effect, the Board must provide unit owners with the itemized budget upon which the new numbers were based. This didn't happen last year, and when I asked the management company about it, they just kept vaguely insisting the Board had done due diligence. After I kept pressing, they finally sent a budget that was several years old, so obviously not the one that the new numbers were based on. When I asked the management company for contact information for the Board to get further clarification, I was told that th

How to create fidelity investments current bank statement for lender during escrow

I transferred a certain amount to my bank account to complete the minimum down payment required. The bank wants a current statement of the transaction. Unfortunately, fidelity only does quarterly statements so a December statement is not available and we are due to close next week. I called fidelity and they they can only provide a letter but the bank said that won’t suffice. Any way I can find or make one of my own that has my account number/name along with all the recent month’s activities? submitted by /u/bodaciousbeans [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/zmnnqo/how_to_create_fidelity_investments_current_bank/