Skip to main content

New mortgage - Debt consolidation

Hello, My partner and I have 2 adjoining pieces of property.

  • One is approx 40 acres with our home and completely paid off.
  • Second is approx 35 acres with a note of 150k and 20 years left. Worth around $600k. $1100 a month. 3% rate.

One problem is we've acquired some other debt. Medical bills, tractor, vehicles, small business loan, etc. Some of which extend out 8-9 years. Collectively, we make around 12k a month and we're just getting by. No extra money for savings, vacation. We also have a barn that's about to fall down and some issues with the house that need to be repaired.

Also, I'm 43 and my partner is 69. I feel like he should be living stress free and be able to do the travel he wants to. Also, if something were to happen to him ( or me for that matter), the other wouldn't be able to make the payments.

So...my suggestion is; taking out a new mortgage on the property that already has a note. Around 350k total. That would be 200k cash back . $2100 month This would pay off all of our debt, vehicles, medical etc. Fix the issues with the barn and the house. We would have thousands left a month that could be paid toward principal if we wanted, or vacation etc.

He is against it and wants to continue paying off the debt the way we are. I agree this is the best way to do it, but I feel with his age, let's go for it and live some life while we can. I will deal with the higher interest rate and longer duration on the note if he's gone...or vice-versa.

Looking for educated or experienced opinions, please. In either direction. Thanks!

submitted by /u/PomeloPuzzleheaded91
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/18r6gxm/new_mortgage_debt_consolidation/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

warning about Biggins and Scott Brunswick

his is a general warning for people who use this agency to rent a property. I am going to share a disgusting experience that I had with the above agency. I was new to the rental experience after a marriage breakdown so I answered a add on Real Estate .com and met a guy in Maribyrnong to look over a apartment . He suggested he was not only going to be my roommate, but he also worked at the company in Brunswick. All looked good and myself and a lovely lady moved in to the apartment in late March. Everything was going well ,we were paying our rent and things were moving forward with 3 people coming from different age groups and different upbringings. Then on the 25th of June out of nowhere 3 Breach Notices appeared on my email from my roommate but on Biggins and Scotts letterhead. I was completely surprised and after trying to reason with the sender of these documents, I then decided I had to call his boss the Director of Biggin and Scott in Brunswick. David told me that he was ...