Skip to main content

Struggling to get mortgage for home in community land trust

Hello,

I've been in the process of trying to get a mortgage for a home located in a community land trust. The home is located in PA. It is a newer, beautiful home located near the waterfront that is very affordable due to it being part of this trust. Basically how the situation works is the trust owns all the land in the community, but an individual owns the house that is built on the land. Every lot owner in the community owns an equal share of the trust (not owned by a large corporation or anything). Most owners have either paid with cash or a home-equity loan, which I'm unfortunately not able to do being a first time home buyer. The frustrating thing is no lender will touch it due to the collateral issue, and it doesn't qualify for Fannie Mae as there is no grounds lease for the property. I've probably gone through a couple dozen lenders so far and made it to various stages, but nothing was ever official.

In terms of the financials, the sales agreement for the home is $305k, and I am able to make a 30% down payment. I have been with the same company for the past 6 years, now making about $93k a year. Credit score is around 750. I'm interested in doing a shorter-term loan (like 15 years).

All in all, it just sort of baffles me that even in this higher interest rate environment, nobody will take the mortgage on their books given my financial situation.

It is definitely a different situation but am just wondering if anybody has had a similar experience or has any advice. Thanks!

submitted by /u/Inevitable_Case9209
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/17ys1bi/struggling_to_get_mortgage_for_home_in_community/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

How to get started?

Hi! I’m 23F and I just graduated college with an english degree (😅) but i’ve been working in nonprofits since I was 16 and lucked into an amazing first job with an one of the biggest and best real estate non-profits! I love my job so far, but it’s my first time being surrounded by such wealth (and very hard working, deserving individuals.) To be quite honest, I‘ve had a rough few years juggling multiple jobs to finish school, and the idea of myself not living paycheck to paycheck seems light years away. This is all being said, I guess I’m posing the question towards the group of what I can do now to start building that kind of future for myself. I find real estate very interesting, and i’ve loved learning about all the machinations behind development- I’m just not sure where to begin within the industry (investment/rentals are definitely not an option for me yet). I’m also looking to go back to school, but being that I don’t know where to start, I wouldn’t like to begin classes aga...