Skip to main content

Should I Sell Or Should I Rent?

Trying to determine what the best wealth creation decision will be?

Situation: Were just about to finish closing on a new upgraded home (B) to live in, however still own our first home (A). We are debating renting out or selling home A. Were not sure if the wealth creation from renting home A is worth becoming a landlord.

Stats: Home B: $1.5M, with 20% down, at 6.7% ARM (7 years).

Home A: Market value $625k, $405k and 27 years left on the mortgage at 3.15%. Property tax $8k, HOA dues $600\year, insurance $1.7k\year. Its a 30 year old home where weve already made some maintenance investments (new roof, new appliances). Not expecting major repairs, but lets assume $6k\year at 1% of the home value?

Option A: Based on comps, we should be able to rent our home out for $3800-$4200\month (good school district, low inventory for single family homes in the area). We would eventually sell once our equity gets higher, interest rates drop (which we believe will trigger a higher purchase price easily +5-10% over current value). No idea when that will be. We would definitely use a management company to start

Option B: Sell home NOW and put $200k equity cashout towards our new home to help save on the 6.7% interest rate (we considered investments like tbills and bonds, but avoiding the 6.7% seems smarter and safer).

About US: relative High stable income couple (600k+\year), strong cash equivalent reserves, 2 kids. Limited free time, and really wonder if renting out is the right decision for us. While the numbers may indicate renting out (maybe), not sure if its worth it.

Thoughts?

submitted by /u/anonthrowaway012s
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/17stkt5/should_i_sell_or_should_i_rent/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

How to get started?

Hi! I’m 23F and I just graduated college with an english degree (😅) but i’ve been working in nonprofits since I was 16 and lucked into an amazing first job with an one of the biggest and best real estate non-profits! I love my job so far, but it’s my first time being surrounded by such wealth (and very hard working, deserving individuals.) To be quite honest, I‘ve had a rough few years juggling multiple jobs to finish school, and the idea of myself not living paycheck to paycheck seems light years away. This is all being said, I guess I’m posing the question towards the group of what I can do now to start building that kind of future for myself. I find real estate very interesting, and i’ve loved learning about all the machinations behind development- I’m just not sure where to begin within the industry (investment/rentals are definitely not an option for me yet). I’m also looking to go back to school, but being that I don’t know where to start, I wouldn’t like to begin classes aga...