Skip to main content

How to "Do the numbers" on an apartment building as an investment? [NE]

This is a dumb question that other people Im sure want to know the answer to as well. I'm in the VERY ground level phase of learning about commercial real estate. Figure if I'm trying to learn about it, it's going to collapse around here soon...

I found a listing for an apartment building that makes me want to learn how to "do the numbers" to see if it's a good deal or not.

Located in small town NE, about 30 miles from a big population center. One of those "cute" small towns that are beginning to see some life again.

They are asking 168K. County assesses at 121.5K...there was a big drop from 1 year to the next. Built in 1880. On main street. Flat roof looks well maintained based on google maps. No comps.

Commercial on the bottom (not rented) - 1600 Sq/ft. Said he can get $650 out of it. I'm skeptical honestly. I would use it for my business and pay rent to myself.

1 bed/1 bath apartment (rented, $420)

2 bed/1 bath (rented, $700)

2 bed/1 bath apartment (rented, $800)

Taxes are 3000 / year. No outstanding tax payments due.

So about $2570 in gross income.

Now what lol? I assume there are fancy spreadsheets that subtract taxes, insurance, maintenance , etc?

submitted by /u/Reason_He_Wins_Again
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/17ra1gr/how_to_do_the_numbers_on_an_apartment_building_as/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

How to get started?

Hi! I’m 23F and I just graduated college with an english degree (😅) but i’ve been working in nonprofits since I was 16 and lucked into an amazing first job with an one of the biggest and best real estate non-profits! I love my job so far, but it’s my first time being surrounded by such wealth (and very hard working, deserving individuals.) To be quite honest, I‘ve had a rough few years juggling multiple jobs to finish school, and the idea of myself not living paycheck to paycheck seems light years away. This is all being said, I guess I’m posing the question towards the group of what I can do now to start building that kind of future for myself. I find real estate very interesting, and i’ve loved learning about all the machinations behind development- I’m just not sure where to begin within the industry (investment/rentals are definitely not an option for me yet). I’m also looking to go back to school, but being that I don’t know where to start, I wouldn’t like to begin classes aga...