Skip to main content

Considering buying a strata property

I am considering buying a strata townhome which is about 35 years old. It's a 51 units complex and has a CRF of about $275,000 i.e $5392 per unit I suppose. Is that a healthy CRF per unit given the age of the building?

Also, In the last month's strata minutes, I am reading:

​

Window Seals: A few owners have reported failed sealed units. There are no funds in the budget to replace windows as they show signs of failure. The Strata will have to consider a window replacement project in the future which would be a levy of the owners. Council would like to give notice to owners of the plan to vote on this project in the near future.

​

  1. Should I be concerned about " There are no funds in the budget to replace windows as they show signs of failure."
  2. Will this cost/levy be attributed to owners of the units with leaky windows or everyone? - I am guessing everyone?
  3. Is there a way for this cost to be passed on to the seller in advance so that we will not have to bear the related costs as it already says "near future".
  4. Based on the language, does it seem like it will be a one time cost or increase in strata fee? If one time cost, what should I expect it to be?
  5. The strata fee is also set to increase 12% this year and was increased 5% last year. Is that a bad sign?

I'd love to hear your opinions and learn if this should scare me away. BTW, The strata fee is about $370 at the moment.

submitted by /u/simmiiee
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/15e9bol/considering_buying_a_strata_property/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

How to get started?

Hi! I’m 23F and I just graduated college with an english degree (😅) but i’ve been working in nonprofits since I was 16 and lucked into an amazing first job with an one of the biggest and best real estate non-profits! I love my job so far, but it’s my first time being surrounded by such wealth (and very hard working, deserving individuals.) To be quite honest, I‘ve had a rough few years juggling multiple jobs to finish school, and the idea of myself not living paycheck to paycheck seems light years away. This is all being said, I guess I’m posing the question towards the group of what I can do now to start building that kind of future for myself. I find real estate very interesting, and i’ve loved learning about all the machinations behind development- I’m just not sure where to begin within the industry (investment/rentals are definitely not an option for me yet). I’m also looking to go back to school, but being that I don’t know where to start, I wouldn’t like to begin classes aga...