Skip to main content

Closing before repairs have been done

Hey guys. My wife and I are first time home buyers. We are under contract with a house we love at a fair price. The issue is we aren’t able to get it insured because it has Poly B pipes. Once replaced, no issue.

So because of this, the sellers gave us a 12k credit at closing for us to remove the pipes for pex. The plumbing company that they provided (who worked on the house previously) quoted 11k for the job. This doesn’t include drywall of course.

The plumber couldn’t guarantee they can remove all the Poly B from the home, but they do promise that if it remained, there will be no water running through them.

So my concern is, if we close now - we are closing on a home that is uninsurable. Who knows what could go on during the repairs? I think offering us 12k is fair, and even if this job costs 24k in total (including dry wall and maybe some tiling) I’m content splitting it with them. But I just feel the repair should be done on their watch before closing. Am I making too much of this?

FWIW we are the sellers third option on the hike because the first 2 offers fell apart because of this issue.

Is it unreasonable to ask that we will buy after the work is completed to be sure we can get the home insured?

submitted by /u/305andy
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/14ilz5f/closing_before_repairs_have_been_done/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

How to get started?

Hi! I’m 23F and I just graduated college with an english degree (😅) but i’ve been working in nonprofits since I was 16 and lucked into an amazing first job with an one of the biggest and best real estate non-profits! I love my job so far, but it’s my first time being surrounded by such wealth (and very hard working, deserving individuals.) To be quite honest, I‘ve had a rough few years juggling multiple jobs to finish school, and the idea of myself not living paycheck to paycheck seems light years away. This is all being said, I guess I’m posing the question towards the group of what I can do now to start building that kind of future for myself. I find real estate very interesting, and i’ve loved learning about all the machinations behind development- I’m just not sure where to begin within the industry (investment/rentals are definitely not an option for me yet). I’m also looking to go back to school, but being that I don’t know where to start, I wouldn’t like to begin classes aga...