Skip to main content

In need of some unbiased real estate advice

My partner and I own a 4 bedroom home in a nice suburb. I happen to love this home despite that fact that it could use some updates. A few months ago I my job contract ended and I took a job offer in another state. Despite me not wanting to move the money was great and it’s a great opportunity. So I accepted the position with a start date of next month.

We came up with a plan together. First, I would move to the new location and rent an apartment for 6 months to get a feel for the area and not delay my start while our home was on the market. Sometime in April/May we’d put the house up and hope it sells by June/July. That way our son would have time to finish school here, too. Then since my lease would be ending we would look for a new house, having had a few months to get acquainted with the new area. I liked this plan and felt it was pretty solid.

We invited our realtor, who is also a family “friend”, over to discuss our plans. She ended up convincing us to privately list the house while we prepared to move me to the new state. It had immediate interest on the private network and the first person that looked at my house wants to buy it for our asking price. Evidently they know the furnace is old and so is the water heater and that the roof might need work in 5 - 10 years. But they want the house anyway.

What should be a no-brained has me completely stumped now. I feel it’s too soon to buy a house in the new state because I haven’t even worked my new job one day yet. I feel like I should get established there before signing into another mortgage. My wife insists that she doesn’t want to go back to renting and it’s not fair to our child to keep changing schools. I get that but I think it’s a poor choice financially. The buyers want to close in early March but I’m told they can be flexible. I’m also told that they wrote us an offer letter that we aren’t allowed to see because we signed an agreement that said no offer letters would be considered.

On top of all that our realtor isn’t convinced our house will appraise for the 500k we are asking and wants the buyers to sign an appraisal addendum for them to pay up to 10k over the appraised amount. I want the addendum to say they’ll pay the 500k.

This is all happening so fast. If it were anything other than a house I’d scoff and the first offer and wait to see what else comes in. Our real estate agent is pushing us to accept this but of course that means the she would get a lot of money with almost no work involved. Because of that I don’t quite trust her to give us advice that’s in our best interests and not hers. Still, we do have to sell this house eventually.

What should we do?

submitted by /u/throwawaytoday9q
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/10hqkb4/in_need_of_some_unbiased_real_estate_advice/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aren't comps/CMAs useless with buyer credits at close happening now?

I'm looking into buying a new construction townhouse in my HCOL US city. I'm seeing builders offering interest rate buydowns worth $20k-$60k on $800k homes (rather than just lowering prices) in order to keep their comps high for their other units, now that buyer demand has been declining. I asked my agent about these, and he said these buydowns aren't even the full story: buyers can write all kinds of other credits into an offer, like their closing costs, prepaid sewer fees, etc. Apparently cash buyers can just write in a "buyer credit at close" for any amount in their offer. So a new townhouse that appeared to sell for $800k in the MLS might have actually been a cash offer with a $100k+ buyer credit at close, meaning the buyer only spent $700k or less in total, but to the rest of the world they can only see the $800k! So that made me realize I can't trust comps/CMAs for other new construction townhouses. The sales prices could be way lower than they appear

Fast Rising HOA Fees on NYC Condo, No Budget Provided

My wife and I are first time homeowners and could use some advice on a situation we've been having with our management company and Board. We bought a condo in Brooklyn two years ago, and since then our HOA fees have climbed dramatically. In August of last year, our fees were increased by ~30% and just yesterday we received notice that this new figure would be increased by 16% as of June 1st. The by-laws for our building state that ten days before such a change goes into effect, the Board must provide unit owners with the itemized budget upon which the new numbers were based. This didn't happen last year, and when I asked the management company about it, they just kept vaguely insisting the Board had done due diligence. After I kept pressing, they finally sent a budget that was several years old, so obviously not the one that the new numbers were based on. When I asked the management company for contact information for the Board to get further clarification, I was told that th

How to create fidelity investments current bank statement for lender during escrow

I transferred a certain amount to my bank account to complete the minimum down payment required. The bank wants a current statement of the transaction. Unfortunately, fidelity only does quarterly statements so a December statement is not available and we are due to close next week. I called fidelity and they they can only provide a letter but the bank said that won’t suffice. Any way I can find or make one of my own that has my account number/name along with all the recent month’s activities? submitted by /u/bodaciousbeans [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/zmnnqo/how_to_create_fidelity_investments_current_bank/