Skip to main content

Frustration and confusion about water escrow

We sold my house about 3 months ago and just got the final check back from the Water escrow, but it didn't seem right. So I called the title company and they said that they simply pro-rate the cost based on days each person owned the house on the bill.

In all my years owning the house I've never paid more than $150 a quarter for water, but now my "pro-rated" portion of the water bill is $164 for 1 month. This to mean indicates that the new owners ran a ton of water for 2 months after buying the house because the pro-rated portion is 1/3rd the time but more than the cost of my normal water usage ever was.

I argued with the Title company about this and they said they don't do readings of the water meter on the day of sale, they simply take the total cost of the bill and divide it by the number of days then multiple that cost by the number of days owned.

​

Is this normal or is my title company just being lazy? Second off is this legal? I'm essentially being billed for water I didn't use.

​

edit: I know this may come off as being a cheapskate but the title company and realtor has been the biggest pain in my ass. They nickle and dimmed me over everything this sale (such as photos for the house, signs for an open house, brokerage fees, etc) and were overall a massive pain to get ahold of and work with. So I'm against giving them any more money then I absolutely have to.

submitted by /u/AnApexBread
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/zqqnnw/frustration_and_confusion_about_water_escrow/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

How to get started?

Hi! I’m 23F and I just graduated college with an english degree (😅) but i’ve been working in nonprofits since I was 16 and lucked into an amazing first job with an one of the biggest and best real estate non-profits! I love my job so far, but it’s my first time being surrounded by such wealth (and very hard working, deserving individuals.) To be quite honest, I‘ve had a rough few years juggling multiple jobs to finish school, and the idea of myself not living paycheck to paycheck seems light years away. This is all being said, I guess I’m posing the question towards the group of what I can do now to start building that kind of future for myself. I find real estate very interesting, and i’ve loved learning about all the machinations behind development- I’m just not sure where to begin within the industry (investment/rentals are definitely not an option for me yet). I’m also looking to go back to school, but being that I don’t know where to start, I wouldn’t like to begin classes aga...