Skip to main content

Stressed seller looking for advice

Let me start by saying I know this is a terrible time to sell. My wife and I decided to cash out of the home we built together in AL (sold June 2021), and we used the proceeds from that sale to buy a historic home in another town 20 mins away in Columbus, GA. We thought it would be fun to live in old home. We knew it might not be someplace we'd stay in forever, but we wanted the experience.

The home was built in 1905, and there have been a few issues come up along the away. Old homes are like old people, they need more care. I didn't understand this when we bought the place. I'm already an anxious person, but this has pushed me over the edge. I work from home, and all I do is think about the house. Things that could be improved and potential issues I want to prevent. Was that spot on the ceiling always there? Do I need to replace that appliance now before it becomes an issue later? It's not a bad home, but it's too much for me. Almost 4,000 sq. ft. with a large front and back yard. I decided a few months ago it was best to end the experiment now, and move on. As I mentioned above, I know it's a terrible time to sell, but I'm doing it to retain my sanity. At this point in my life, I want to be able to travel for work as often as I need to, and not have to worry about the yard or an issue that I'd be leaving for my wife if something inside breaks.

We priced it $550k after purchasing it last year for $495k. I felt like $535k was a good place to start, but I trust my realtor. After having it on the market for two weeks, we've had one showing. I want what few buyers are out there to know we're serious, so we reduced the price to $525k at my request.

Was that a bad move adjusting the price so quickly? I'd also like to get a second opinion from another professional on pricing and details from the listing that might turn buyers off. I trust my agent, but in my line of work we always have someone else provide a review because collaboration yields better results. If that's not allowed on this sub, then I can remove the request. It really is a lovely home, and would be a great place for someone who can handle and value a historic property.

submitted by /u/whitlgr
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/ybj6me/stressed_seller_looking_for_advice/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

How to get started?

Hi! I’m 23F and I just graduated college with an english degree (😅) but i’ve been working in nonprofits since I was 16 and lucked into an amazing first job with an one of the biggest and best real estate non-profits! I love my job so far, but it’s my first time being surrounded by such wealth (and very hard working, deserving individuals.) To be quite honest, I‘ve had a rough few years juggling multiple jobs to finish school, and the idea of myself not living paycheck to paycheck seems light years away. This is all being said, I guess I’m posing the question towards the group of what I can do now to start building that kind of future for myself. I find real estate very interesting, and i’ve loved learning about all the machinations behind development- I’m just not sure where to begin within the industry (investment/rentals are definitely not an option for me yet). I’m also looking to go back to school, but being that I don’t know where to start, I wouldn’t like to begin classes aga...