Skip to main content

Help! I found my dream home at a crazy time

I've been thinking about a new home for about a year, but not too seriously as I've been okay where I am. I live in a "hot market" city, which has seen a pretty large influx of inventory and price drops over these past few months. I started looking for real about a month ago.

This will be my second time to buy a house. I made some compromises the first time around, mostly because I was being conservative with the monthly payment (I shot for something like 25% of my monthly take home pay). My income has increased by a lot (promotion), and I am confident that it will continue to increase. I work in a stable field. So this time around, I budgeted for like 40%. That was a few weeks ago, when my lender quoted me at around 5.125%.

I plan to keep my current home with its dirt cheap mortgage as a rental, I expect to break even on this for now. I plan to cash out about half my reserve in stocks for the down payment + 6 month buffer for the rental. The only debt I have is a student loan that I'm slowly chewing through because the rate is decent. I will need a car pretty soon though. I suck at saving money, so I'm already preparing myself for a major lifestyle change.

I found the perfect house at a bit above this payment limit. Swimming pool, more square footage, quiet street, no updates needed (like impeccable design choices - could not have done it better myself) , closer to town. 100%, I would stay in this house for at least 15 years and love every minute of it. But! I went to get a PQ letter, and only a few weeks later, we're at 6.125%. This is another $400 per month, and I'm getting squeamish. Now we're closer to 50% of my take home pay per month. This is still doable, but getting uncomfy. How does one even budget when the rates are fluctuating like this? What if the rate keeps going up?

I have a lot of levers and I'm not sure which to pull. My realtor is encouraging me to offer at ask or very modestly below (15k). She feels this house is fairly priced according to comps. I don't entirely trust her judgement, but definitely factor it as she's the expert here. The house has been on the market for 12 days, no offers as of a few days ago.

Options:

  • Just do it and put in the offer at 15k under. Who needs vacations when you live in your dream home?!
  • Cash out more stocks and put a larger down payment on it, which doesn't get me back to where it was and would eat into my reserves. (I was shying away from a large down payment because appreciation has been steady here, but now I don't know anything anymore.)
  • Put in a ballsy offer that is 15k under + 3% seller buy down (idk if this is real, that's why I'm here) + maybe big chunk of earnest money to show how serious I am, but potentially piss off the seller
  • Keep looking, or stop looking. My current house is fine. The market is crazy.
  • Something that the beautiful geniuses of r/RealEstate advise

I know this is a super long post. If you made it this far, thanks! I am such a novice and I only trust internet strangers to give it to me straight.

submitted by /u/IrrelevantMeatsack
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/xkvfkd/help_i_found_my_dream_home_at_a_crazy_time/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aren't comps/CMAs useless with buyer credits at close happening now?

I'm looking into buying a new construction townhouse in my HCOL US city. I'm seeing builders offering interest rate buydowns worth $20k-$60k on $800k homes (rather than just lowering prices) in order to keep their comps high for their other units, now that buyer demand has been declining. I asked my agent about these, and he said these buydowns aren't even the full story: buyers can write all kinds of other credits into an offer, like their closing costs, prepaid sewer fees, etc. Apparently cash buyers can just write in a "buyer credit at close" for any amount in their offer. So a new townhouse that appeared to sell for $800k in the MLS might have actually been a cash offer with a $100k+ buyer credit at close, meaning the buyer only spent $700k or less in total, but to the rest of the world they can only see the $800k! So that made me realize I can't trust comps/CMAs for other new construction townhouses. The sales prices could be way lower than they appear

Fast Rising HOA Fees on NYC Condo, No Budget Provided

My wife and I are first time homeowners and could use some advice on a situation we've been having with our management company and Board. We bought a condo in Brooklyn two years ago, and since then our HOA fees have climbed dramatically. In August of last year, our fees were increased by ~30% and just yesterday we received notice that this new figure would be increased by 16% as of June 1st. The by-laws for our building state that ten days before such a change goes into effect, the Board must provide unit owners with the itemized budget upon which the new numbers were based. This didn't happen last year, and when I asked the management company about it, they just kept vaguely insisting the Board had done due diligence. After I kept pressing, they finally sent a budget that was several years old, so obviously not the one that the new numbers were based on. When I asked the management company for contact information for the Board to get further clarification, I was told that th

How to create fidelity investments current bank statement for lender during escrow

I transferred a certain amount to my bank account to complete the minimum down payment required. The bank wants a current statement of the transaction. Unfortunately, fidelity only does quarterly statements so a December statement is not available and we are due to close next week. I called fidelity and they they can only provide a letter but the bank said that won’t suffice. Any way I can find or make one of my own that has my account number/name along with all the recent month’s activities? submitted by /u/bodaciousbeans [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/zmnnqo/how_to_create_fidelity_investments_current_bank/