Skip to main content

Buying a more expensive house than I need as an investment?

I am looking at buying a house in Seattle, where prices tend to rise faster than most of the country and I expect there to be strong demand for quite a while. I work in tech and could comfortably afford something in the $650,000 range, I am single and don't need a lot of space. I'm thinking of intentionally buying something a bit larger or in a nicer neighborhood though as an investment.

The general advice is not to buy more than you need, but I watched a youtube video recently that talked about how when you buy a house you essentially get access to a huge amount of investing margin, because you now have an investment worth the entire price of the house and all you had to pay upfront was the down payment. So if the property goes up 15% I make $97,000 even though I only put down $35,000 or so. If my income ever changed I could rent out the place to cover most of the mortgage and still benefit from appreciation.

In theory, if the whole city appreciates at roughly the same rate, I will make more money the more expensive the home is to begin with. There are obviously a few risks with paying more for a house:
1. I lose my job and can't make the payments. I can probably rent it out, but there are expenses and risks associated with renting.
2. The market slows or reverses and my home doesn't appreciate or loses value.

I know those are both real risks to be considered, but are there other reasons I'm not thinking of that buying a more expensive home is a bad idea?

submitted by /u/drunken-bread
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/xnmxkr/buying_a_more_expensive_house_than_i_need_as_an/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

How to get started?

Hi! I’m 23F and I just graduated college with an english degree (😅) but i’ve been working in nonprofits since I was 16 and lucked into an amazing first job with an one of the biggest and best real estate non-profits! I love my job so far, but it’s my first time being surrounded by such wealth (and very hard working, deserving individuals.) To be quite honest, I‘ve had a rough few years juggling multiple jobs to finish school, and the idea of myself not living paycheck to paycheck seems light years away. This is all being said, I guess I’m posing the question towards the group of what I can do now to start building that kind of future for myself. I find real estate very interesting, and i’ve loved learning about all the machinations behind development- I’m just not sure where to begin within the industry (investment/rentals are definitely not an option for me yet). I’m also looking to go back to school, but being that I don’t know where to start, I wouldn’t like to begin classes aga...