Skip to main content

flipping houses and capital gains taxes?

So I've got two sets of relatives one has been flipping for a bit, does 2-3 a year and keeps the good ones as rentals and not to get screwed over tax wise making it profitable as they say. They got their brother into flipping.

Brother isn't good with finances. In 40s and borrowing money from dad to pay utilities not good with finances, but somehow got into flipping. They've been doing a house seemingly every month give or take. I'm just guessing from home prices around here currently they're probably buying around the $100k mark and possibly selling as high as $200k again give or take. Not sure what they're spending on fixing up but I'm out $10k on rental that got destroyed by tenants and that's just cleaning and repairs so maybe $10-50k depending on the flip.

I'm no tax expert and don't fully understand capital gains tax. But I feel like they're about to shoot them selves in the foot and be taxed to high hell with all the flips making all the trouble and work not even worth it. Should I say something or am not getting what's going on and I'll just make myself look like an asd? If any one can help explain it better I would greatly appreciate it. I read the IRS rules online but ya it's irs rules lol. Thank you.

submitted by /u/Sam-I-Aint
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/wzpnng/flipping_houses_and_capital_gains_taxes/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

Making offers on houses not listed for sale.

I want to buy a home for retirement. I am looking at lots of options, mostly focusing on the locations that appeal to me. I see lots of Zillow estimates of homes that look like great deals to me. Are these estimates accurate, even though similar houses in the same area that are for sale are usually priced much higher? If so, is it realistic for me to try to make offers to owners that do not have their homes listed? Would a realtor even consider helping me do this? Or, do these values indicate that the houses listed for sale are overpriced, and I should just lowball until someone accepts? Are houses today tending to sell far below list prices, or ??? submitted by /u/chewybrian [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1o4mcon/making_offers_on_houses_not_listed_for_sale/