Skip to main content

15% down at 5.125% OR 25% down at 4.875%?

Hi everyone,

First time home buyer here and I am seeking advice for choosing the loan option I currently have three options. The property is $620,000 and the rate I locked was 15% down at 5.125% and 25% down at 4.875%. I am financially comfortable doing either option. My lender suggested doing Option A because the total rate of return holistically. But it is hard to wrap my head around especially in this current volatile market. So would love your advice!

​

Option A : 15% ($93,000) down at 5.125% with PMI $50. Monthly mortgage around $4,050

Refinance (which will cost ~$10,000) when the rate goes down. Lender told me the rate will most likely drop within the next year and equity will go up so it will automatically drop PMI. And invest my left over savings in something else that has a better rate of return.

​

Option B : 19% ($117,800) DOWN AT 5.125% with PMI $50 but pay lumpsum 1% ($6,200) right after closing so my LTV is 20% and PMI drops. Monthly mortgage $3,907

Then same as option A, refinance when the rate goes down and invest left over money into something like index fund.

​

Option C : 25% (155,000) down at 4.875%. Monthly mortgage $3,583

Then refinance when the rate goes down even more. definitely have much less left over savings than Option A& B to invest.

​

My question is, is it worth paying $476 monthly to wait for the rate to go down (which is unknown), refinance ($10,000), and drop PMI (which is extra work on me) and invest more money on something else? Or do more traditional way to do 25% down?

​

Let me know

thank you!

submitted by /u/mangoyam00
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/wum4ur/15_down_at_5125_or_25_down_at_4875/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

How to get started?

Hi! I’m 23F and I just graduated college with an english degree (😅) but i’ve been working in nonprofits since I was 16 and lucked into an amazing first job with an one of the biggest and best real estate non-profits! I love my job so far, but it’s my first time being surrounded by such wealth (and very hard working, deserving individuals.) To be quite honest, I‘ve had a rough few years juggling multiple jobs to finish school, and the idea of myself not living paycheck to paycheck seems light years away. This is all being said, I guess I’m posing the question towards the group of what I can do now to start building that kind of future for myself. I find real estate very interesting, and i’ve loved learning about all the machinations behind development- I’m just not sure where to begin within the industry (investment/rentals are definitely not an option for me yet). I’m also looking to go back to school, but being that I don’t know where to start, I wouldn’t like to begin classes aga...