Skip to main content

Are we stretching our budget too thin with a house purchase?

Information: $180k pretax $7000 take home per month after taxes, health insurance, ESPP, etc. We each put about 13% in our 401k and I put 10% after tax into my companies ESPP.

Other assets: We have about $60k in our savings accounts that we don’t touch. About $150k in our individual stock investment account (even after the stock bloodbath) as well as about 12k in a Roth IRA and about $7k in HSA.

We own a house right now and would want to sell. Comps are showing that we can have about a 200k profit after closing expenses which we would put towards the new house.

New house is at around $630k to $660k depending on what we want to offer based on comps. It would be our forever home.

We are preapproved at 4.375% for up to $850k.

Right now we are paying $2200 a month for our mortgage with a new mortgage of up to $3600 if we go on the higher end. This is including property tax and insurance. Utilities are not configured in this number.

We have a baby on the way, but our parents live in the same state so they can provide support.

We are looking in northern Massachusetts if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

submitted by /u/S3nseiCY
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/vgnkmp/are_we_stretching_our_budget_too_thin_with_a/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

How to get started?

Hi! I’m 23F and I just graduated college with an english degree (😅) but i’ve been working in nonprofits since I was 16 and lucked into an amazing first job with an one of the biggest and best real estate non-profits! I love my job so far, but it’s my first time being surrounded by such wealth (and very hard working, deserving individuals.) To be quite honest, I‘ve had a rough few years juggling multiple jobs to finish school, and the idea of myself not living paycheck to paycheck seems light years away. This is all being said, I guess I’m posing the question towards the group of what I can do now to start building that kind of future for myself. I find real estate very interesting, and i’ve loved learning about all the machinations behind development- I’m just not sure where to begin within the industry (investment/rentals are definitely not an option for me yet). I’m also looking to go back to school, but being that I don’t know where to start, I wouldn’t like to begin classes aga...