Skip to main content

Was quoted 100k for foundation repair (30+ helical piers) by a foundation repair company. Any advice?

I'm in a suburb in the bay area known for lots of soil movement and the usual cracks and what not in the house as a result. Have been getting by for the last few years with jacks under the house, but just got an inspection from an underpinning company and upon surveying the house, he determined the whole house needs to be supported by piers. The cost will be $100k.

It's as bad as 4-6 inches of unevenness on the perimeter of the house. Definitely was shocked by this amount and kind of unsure of what to do at this point. The house has went up in value, being the bay area and having bought it in 2014, but I do worry about the value of the house and now especially that it has to be disclosed. I'm also unsure of when to address this, I'd like to say asap, but it's hard to come up with that kind of money all of a sudden. Any tips on how to approach this? Was thinking of taking a heloc or construction loan.

With the state of the market and cost of building materials, does it make sense to wait if I can live with the unevenness for some time?

submitted by /u/getboy97
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/us634c/was_quoted_100k_for_foundation_repair_30_helical/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

How to get started?

Hi! I’m 23F and I just graduated college with an english degree (😅) but i’ve been working in nonprofits since I was 16 and lucked into an amazing first job with an one of the biggest and best real estate non-profits! I love my job so far, but it’s my first time being surrounded by such wealth (and very hard working, deserving individuals.) To be quite honest, I‘ve had a rough few years juggling multiple jobs to finish school, and the idea of myself not living paycheck to paycheck seems light years away. This is all being said, I guess I’m posing the question towards the group of what I can do now to start building that kind of future for myself. I find real estate very interesting, and i’ve loved learning about all the machinations behind development- I’m just not sure where to begin within the industry (investment/rentals are definitely not an option for me yet). I’m also looking to go back to school, but being that I don’t know where to start, I wouldn’t like to begin classes aga...