Skip to main content

Where should I go?

I plan to retire in a few years and want to move somewhere else in the country (currently living and working in the Northeast USA). My plan is buy a rental property that will eventually become my own residence one day (since I can't relocate now due to various personal/work reasons). I know the market has been crazy over the past two years, so I'm not in the rush to buy right now, mainly just exploring and gathering ideas at this point. All inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Here are a few lifestyle and financial factors that I have in mind:

  1. Tropical climate/sunbelt states: I hate living in the Northeast. Snow, gloomy weather, seasonal depression, exorbitant winter energy cost, shorter days, etc.
  2. Metropolitan area: I don't plan to live right in the downtown of a major city, but still want to have easy access (with 2-hour drive) to a somewhat major city
  3. Price-to-rent ratio: If the price to own a home is significantly higher than renting in the new city, then I plan to just rent there instead. Obviously, I still want to own my place for various reasons, so a low price-to-rent ratio is preferred
  4. Income tax: After seeing how rigged the system has been against middle class workers in this country, I prefer to not pay anymore in state income tax (which are notoriously high in the Northeast) if I can
  5. Easy access to airports: I love to travel and plan to travel more once I'm done with corporate America, so being close to a big airport would be a plus
  6. Rental market: Since I don't plan to live there right away, I want to make sure that the property isn't just sitting there eating up my savings in the meantime. A market with high rental demand would be preferrable

I have thought about and researched a few cities/metropolitan areas so far, so inputs on those would be greatly appreciated, especially the "deal-breaker" reasons/factors (other cities are welcomed too):

  1. Orlando, FL: great weather, close to beaches on both coasts, Disneyworld, no income tax
  2. Las Vegas, NV: 4-hour drive to LA and the Pacific coast, the Stripe/entertainment, no income tax
  3. Charlotte, NC: great nature (especially the lakes and mountains), Charlotte Douglas airport with direct connections to major destinations, up-and-coming town flooded with finance money from the Northeast (i.e. property appreciation potential)
  4. Portland, OR: no income tax (if living north of the border in Washington), no sales tax, plenty of national parks/forests and beaches with stunning scenery, interesting culture and things to explore, close to Seattle
  5. Houston, TX: major city, no income tax, close to the water, midpoint between both coasts with shorter flight to either, food/culture, warm climate
  6. Salt Lake City, UT: numerous national parks within driving distance, mild climate, friendly people, relatively low tax burden and COL
submitted by /u/jjtrust30
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/ubfzje/where_should_i_go/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aren't comps/CMAs useless with buyer credits at close happening now?

I'm looking into buying a new construction townhouse in my HCOL US city. I'm seeing builders offering interest rate buydowns worth $20k-$60k on $800k homes (rather than just lowering prices) in order to keep their comps high for their other units, now that buyer demand has been declining. I asked my agent about these, and he said these buydowns aren't even the full story: buyers can write all kinds of other credits into an offer, like their closing costs, prepaid sewer fees, etc. Apparently cash buyers can just write in a "buyer credit at close" for any amount in their offer. So a new townhouse that appeared to sell for $800k in the MLS might have actually been a cash offer with a $100k+ buyer credit at close, meaning the buyer only spent $700k or less in total, but to the rest of the world they can only see the $800k! So that made me realize I can't trust comps/CMAs for other new construction townhouses. The sales prices could be way lower than they appear

Fast Rising HOA Fees on NYC Condo, No Budget Provided

My wife and I are first time homeowners and could use some advice on a situation we've been having with our management company and Board. We bought a condo in Brooklyn two years ago, and since then our HOA fees have climbed dramatically. In August of last year, our fees were increased by ~30% and just yesterday we received notice that this new figure would be increased by 16% as of June 1st. The by-laws for our building state that ten days before such a change goes into effect, the Board must provide unit owners with the itemized budget upon which the new numbers were based. This didn't happen last year, and when I asked the management company about it, they just kept vaguely insisting the Board had done due diligence. After I kept pressing, they finally sent a budget that was several years old, so obviously not the one that the new numbers were based on. When I asked the management company for contact information for the Board to get further clarification, I was told that th

How to create fidelity investments current bank statement for lender during escrow

I transferred a certain amount to my bank account to complete the minimum down payment required. The bank wants a current statement of the transaction. Unfortunately, fidelity only does quarterly statements so a December statement is not available and we are due to close next week. I called fidelity and they they can only provide a letter but the bank said that won’t suffice. Any way I can find or make one of my own that has my account number/name along with all the recent month’s activities? submitted by /u/bodaciousbeans [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/zmnnqo/how_to_create_fidelity_investments_current_bank/