Skip to main content

Alternative properties

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. TL/DR: look outside of the usual for unusual deals. This is my personal experience in the past, so obviously prices have changed but the principle remains the same.

I spent the first 20 years of my adult-ish life getting high, so when I suddenly found myself in need of an actual home {baby, yikes!} traditional areas of credit weren't available to me, as 'credit score' wasn't high on my list of priorities during the traditional credit building years, so to speak. So I decided that like King Moonracer (from the movie Rudolph the red nosed reindeer) who oversaw the Island of Misfit Toys, I'd seek out the unloved and unwanted properties, as the sellers were desperate to unload them and so willing to consider offers that nicer properties wouldn't dream of. My first place in 2006 was a 1970s mobile home/house trailer on 1/2 acre lot in a neighborhood of houses in a very nice suburban city. The for sale sign that was so old and faded I had to get out of my car to read the number. Asking price was 35K, and as mobile homes that old have no loan value, that meant that folks willing to live in it couldn't pay cash OR get a loan, so it wasn't moving. Offered 30K with 20% down and 5 years owner financing, got a hard no. Next day it was accepted with a 15% interest rate, so I just doubled up payments and paid it off in 2 years cuz fuck that. I stripped it down to the wall studs and replaced everything with house-grade materials and fixtures. So basically it looks and functions just like a small house on the inside. My mom moved in when I got married in 2011, she still lives there.

In 2013 when I got divorced {just.....don't ask} I bought a mobile home with 2 acres for 30K in a very nice suburban city with same terms, even though owners were vehemently opposed to owner financing at first. But again, nobody who'd be willing to live there could pay cash.

2019 I sold the 2 acre place and paid cash for a 1950s tract home that was a failed rental house in a not-so-nice suburban-ish city that had been vacant for years due to disrepair. It needed more work than it was worth unless you were going to live there. The doors were gone and I found an ancient for rent sign in the kitchen and tracked down the current owners, a property management group. They quoted me 30k, so I asked when was the last time she had actually set eyes on the property. Yada yada yada, two days later she takes 6k, I spend an equal amount on repairs and moved in a month later. It's in a sketchy area, consequently the houses across from and next to me were likewise empty. Homeless would trash repairs quick as property managers made them, until I moved in and dropped a few hundred bucks on lights and cameras online and lit up my yard like a basketball court at night, ran a wire fence around my yard complete with gate, and I've had zero issues. The other houses around me got repaired and rented out after I planted my flag in the desert of vacant houses, all except the one directly across from me, in about the same shape as mine when I bought it. Being today's crazy market, they were asking 45k for this wreck. Much as I hated paying that much, that's not too outrageous. I offered 30k cash and they just took it. Gonna offer it to my nephews and nieces if one wants to live there, but not to flip.

My point being, there are still places to be had if you think outside the box and bust your ass finding the hidden quasi-gems. Yes, the deals won't be as great as they might if you search forever, but you can possibly find a home, even if you don't stay there forever. I got blind bullshit lucky over and over again, and if my dumb ass can have that happen you can too if you keep asking. Worse they can do is tell ya no!

submitted by /u/PhreddyPhuckYou
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/t3e796/alternative_properties/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aren't comps/CMAs useless with buyer credits at close happening now?

I'm looking into buying a new construction townhouse in my HCOL US city. I'm seeing builders offering interest rate buydowns worth $20k-$60k on $800k homes (rather than just lowering prices) in order to keep their comps high for their other units, now that buyer demand has been declining. I asked my agent about these, and he said these buydowns aren't even the full story: buyers can write all kinds of other credits into an offer, like their closing costs, prepaid sewer fees, etc. Apparently cash buyers can just write in a "buyer credit at close" for any amount in their offer. So a new townhouse that appeared to sell for $800k in the MLS might have actually been a cash offer with a $100k+ buyer credit at close, meaning the buyer only spent $700k or less in total, but to the rest of the world they can only see the $800k! So that made me realize I can't trust comps/CMAs for other new construction townhouses. The sales prices could be way lower than they appear

Fast Rising HOA Fees on NYC Condo, No Budget Provided

My wife and I are first time homeowners and could use some advice on a situation we've been having with our management company and Board. We bought a condo in Brooklyn two years ago, and since then our HOA fees have climbed dramatically. In August of last year, our fees were increased by ~30% and just yesterday we received notice that this new figure would be increased by 16% as of June 1st. The by-laws for our building state that ten days before such a change goes into effect, the Board must provide unit owners with the itemized budget upon which the new numbers were based. This didn't happen last year, and when I asked the management company about it, they just kept vaguely insisting the Board had done due diligence. After I kept pressing, they finally sent a budget that was several years old, so obviously not the one that the new numbers were based on. When I asked the management company for contact information for the Board to get further clarification, I was told that th

How to create fidelity investments current bank statement for lender during escrow

I transferred a certain amount to my bank account to complete the minimum down payment required. The bank wants a current statement of the transaction. Unfortunately, fidelity only does quarterly statements so a December statement is not available and we are due to close next week. I called fidelity and they they can only provide a letter but the bank said that won’t suffice. Any way I can find or make one of my own that has my account number/name along with all the recent month’s activities? submitted by /u/bodaciousbeans [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/zmnnqo/how_to_create_fidelity_investments_current_bank/