Skip to main content

NY—Closing nightmare, need advice

My fiancé and I found a coop unit on Zillow that we liked. We hired an agent who then began communication with the coop unit’s listing agent, about sales price. After minor negotiation, we got word (from the seller’s agent) that they accepted our asking price. However, since it’s a cooperative and not a condo, the coop’s rule for minimum sale price for units within the cooperative was $5,000 higher than what was accepted. Our realtor informed us that this happens all the time and we’d purchase the unit at the coop’s minimum sales price and the sellers would reimburse us the difference (without the coop finding out). The seller’s realtor told our realtor it would not be a problem.

I asked about a contract being written up but every time, I was told the lawyers would handle it. Being first time buyers, we foolishly went on with the buying process (this was dumb, I know). Fast forward to two weeks before closing, we find out that the seller’s realtor now doesn’t want to be involved with the $5,000 reimbursement and she insists that the lawyers handle it. This is fine, except we then found out that the lawyers can’t handle it because the sellers realtor did not inform the lawyers of any reimbursement and apparently the sellers are even unaware of the $5,000 reimbursement. Seems like the sellers realtor was lying the whole time.

What are my options?? Close on the unit, eat the $5,000 and have my ego hurt knowing I’m getting got by a shady realtor? Or pull out of the closing with fear that my 10% down payment ($30k) is lost. I’ve signed commitment letters, contracts, etc. up to this point. Closing date is for Wednesday. I feel very stupid, naive, and taken advantage of.

Does anyone have any advice?

submitted by /u/nomadicsnyc
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/sdzaes/nyclosing_nightmare_need_advice/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

How to get started?

Hi! I’m 23F and I just graduated college with an english degree (😅) but i’ve been working in nonprofits since I was 16 and lucked into an amazing first job with an one of the biggest and best real estate non-profits! I love my job so far, but it’s my first time being surrounded by such wealth (and very hard working, deserving individuals.) To be quite honest, I‘ve had a rough few years juggling multiple jobs to finish school, and the idea of myself not living paycheck to paycheck seems light years away. This is all being said, I guess I’m posing the question towards the group of what I can do now to start building that kind of future for myself. I find real estate very interesting, and i’ve loved learning about all the machinations behind development- I’m just not sure where to begin within the industry (investment/rentals are definitely not an option for me yet). I’m also looking to go back to school, but being that I don’t know where to start, I wouldn’t like to begin classes aga...