Skip to main content

Buying a house that didn't experience as much price increases in order to avoid price drops as rates go up?

Warning: probably too much FUD.

With all the news about interest rates going up in the coming months, I've started worrying about what that could mean for our current house hunt. In our market, we're looking for houses around 550-600k. But what if we put 20% down on a house, and then home prices drop by 20% after close? I wouldn't exactly be underwater, but it would be as if my down payment disappeared!

It got me wondering if I could somehow avoid the future price drops by finding houses that are already low price due to out of date interiors or something. Like if I buy a <500k home I'd have more spare money for renovations and maybe any price fluctuations post-interest hike won't hurt as bad? I suppose the hole in that line of thinking would be "just because the house is old doesn't mean it didn't also ride the wave of home prices", so maybe we would signing up for a remodel home for without even dodging my original issue?

Tell me I'm dumb or anything that makes me feel better.

Note: We do feel a bit of pressure to move sooner rather than later due to an uptick of shootings in the area that are literally putting bullets in our windows and living room. Much as I'd like to wait and see, I don't think my husband would enjoy the risk of staying.

Edit: Looking in the DMV area, usually in VA

submitted by /u/Oangusa
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/sdz9wu/buying_a_house_that_didnt_experience_as_much/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

How to get started?

Hi! I’m 23F and I just graduated college with an english degree (😅) but i’ve been working in nonprofits since I was 16 and lucked into an amazing first job with an one of the biggest and best real estate non-profits! I love my job so far, but it’s my first time being surrounded by such wealth (and very hard working, deserving individuals.) To be quite honest, I‘ve had a rough few years juggling multiple jobs to finish school, and the idea of myself not living paycheck to paycheck seems light years away. This is all being said, I guess I’m posing the question towards the group of what I can do now to start building that kind of future for myself. I find real estate very interesting, and i’ve loved learning about all the machinations behind development- I’m just not sure where to begin within the industry (investment/rentals are definitely not an option for me yet). I’m also looking to go back to school, but being that I don’t know where to start, I wouldn’t like to begin classes aga...