Skip to main content

Building ‘guest house’ on lot(s) first?- North Texas

We’ve put an offer in on an absolute dream property that is two adjacent lots. There was a bidding war, but we should find out today.

The higher lot with AMAZING views has an older, severely neglected house. It has a stone pathway that leads down to the lower lot that flattens out again.

Due to the condition of the house, it’s definitely a cash offer sort of situation. Our plan, should they accept our offer, would be to build a minimally expensive ‘guest house’ on the lower lot. We’d want it to look acceptable from the outside but thinking bare bones finishing on the inside for now. When that was done, we’d move into the property and start renting out our current place. Then we could take our time and decide if the old house can be rehabbed or would need to be torn plan for a new construction.

It would give us a lot of flexibility for timeframe and get to enjoy the property sooner. Also, since it’s two lots we could always rent out the ‘guest house’ later down the road or even sell that property if we absolutely had to.

I’ve done some due diligence and the feasibility of building a small structure on the lower lot (city codes, talking to a city council person, surgery, etc.) and it SHOULD be feasible.

That being said, is this an insane idea? Any idea a ball park range of construction could be?

This is a one in a million type of lot to us. If we don’t get it, so be it, but we’re willing to be creative here if it’s reasonable.

submitted by /u/daisylouiser
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/sauz3m/building_guest_house_on_lots_first_north_texas/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Carolina – “One to Buy; Two to Sell”

I realize I will likely have to contact a real estate attorney but also hoping to hear insights and experiences from others! I have a house in NC that I bought by myself in 2009, and paid off, in full, in 2022. I got married in 2023. My spouse and I have not lived in the house as our "marital residence". We have maintained separate residences even after we got married. (That a separate topic!). I am now selling this house. Realtors have told us that my husband has to sign the deed at time of transfer but I am not convinced since the house has not been our marital residence. The realtors like to use the phrase "one to buy; two to sell", which seems like a broad-stroke statement which is not applicable under all circumstances. And of course, the realtors don’t realize the details of my specific circumstances: I purchased and paid for the house in full prior to marriage Only my name is on the deed And most importantly, we have never lived in the house as a marit...

Question With Tricon "Pending ID".....

My wife and i, along with 2 other peopl applied to rent a house, and our application says "Approved, Pending ID". Anyone else know what that means? Do we pretty much have the place or are we missing something? submitted by /u/Itskrueger [link] [comments] source https://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/1orixqj/question_with_tricon_pending_id/

How to get started?

Hi! I’m 23F and I just graduated college with an english degree (😅) but i’ve been working in nonprofits since I was 16 and lucked into an amazing first job with an one of the biggest and best real estate non-profits! I love my job so far, but it’s my first time being surrounded by such wealth (and very hard working, deserving individuals.) To be quite honest, I‘ve had a rough few years juggling multiple jobs to finish school, and the idea of myself not living paycheck to paycheck seems light years away. This is all being said, I guess I’m posing the question towards the group of what I can do now to start building that kind of future for myself. I find real estate very interesting, and i’ve loved learning about all the machinations behind development- I’m just not sure where to begin within the industry (investment/rentals are definitely not an option for me yet). I’m also looking to go back to school, but being that I don’t know where to start, I wouldn’t like to begin classes aga...